Can't connect to wireless network

Status
Not open for further replies.

fireball

Baseband Member
To start things off, I bought a belkin wireless adapter for my desktop to connect to the wireless network that my roommate has set up. It worked and everything was great.

However, recently, I did a recovery of XP. I tried setting up the wireless adapter, but it doesn't connect to the network. It goes from excellent connection to connection not available. It just goes back and forth every second. We have a password for the network but whenever I go type it in the only text box that is available to type it in says "hex value" or something like that. Like I have to type in a hex value instead of just a passphrase. there is a selection for passphrase next to it but I can't select it unless I put the network as shared ,which it is not. so if i have WPA selected I can't type in a passphrase, only a hex value.

I don't know why I can't connect to the network. It was so easy the first time. I don't even remember using the belkin program to set up my connection, I think I just used windows itself to set it up the first time.

Do you think it could be because I don't have SP2 installed? It is a recovery of XP from like 2003, so it is not up-to-date at all.

Yes i believe that the issue is due to the missing updates. You will need to hard wire it to the network to get the updates needed.

Thank You! I was hoping that would be the case.

I will post back to let you know if it worked.

It did not work. I updated XP with SP2 and I still can't connect. However, updating to SP2 did give me more information as to why I can't connect. It seems I have "Limited to No Connectivity". My adapter is having a hard time picking up the wireless signal(which is why it was going from excellent connection to no connection), but when I move the adapter to certain spots I am able to get a full signal and it will stay like that. However, I am still getting "Limited to No Connectivity" even with the full signal. Anyone have any ideas of what I can do to fix this issue?

Thanks!

When you have full signal try going into the network connections again and refreshing the connection. See if that helps.

I've tried that many times. Just stays on full signal but still has "limited to no connectivity"

Go into the command prompt and do a ipconfig release and renew. See if that helps.

Have you reset the router/modem and restarted the PC since you found a spot for full signal?

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
are those the correct cmds?

No I have not reset the router. I will try doing that when I get home from work.
I have reset the pc multiple times but that doesn't change anything.

Once I updated, I was having a problem getting an ip address. I thought that might have been the issue, but after waiting awhile I eventually got one. I assume that was because of the "limited to no connectivity".

Yes those are the right commands. I would think that the router might need to be reset to find the PC. That is why it is not getting a IP from the router.

At least it is a option to try.

Thank You.

Also, I did notice that when I looked for wireless networks from my laptop(which is right next to the desktop that is having these issues), it is listing my Belkin Wireless Adapter(which is what I am using to connect my desktop to wireless) as a wireless network that I can connect to. This does not seem right at all to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom