Can't connect on Win 7, but can in XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
The IP was dynamic, and we decided to reinstall XP on the T410 (which in itself isn't going well, get a BSOD everytime). We were getting frequent BSODs in Win 7, but it's starting to shape up like a hardware issue. Either way, still no idea why it can't connect to the DSL Modem.

The bsod's during install may be due to the bios being in sata mode AHCI, i have seen this a few times already i'm not sure xp is compatible with ahci, check the bios and change that to sata mode ata or ide and it should let you install xp, just make sure drivers are available for xp before you do it.

You were absolutely right, I completely forgot to check that. I have run into it hundreds of times and didn't realize what it was until later. Installing XP (For the second time) now; hopefully she'll be able to get it to connect to her DSL modem this time.

Thanks for the help!

No problem

let us know how it goes. :)

I "downgraded" her laptop to XP and it still was not able to connect to her modem. She power cycled it again and still no link lights; the old laptop however can still connect without a problem.

To try and troubleshot this further we sent a switch home with her (more of a distant hope, as we don't have a router to let her try) and she was able to get a link light on the modem and switch and then connect the laptop to the switch and get a link light there, but to no avail. At this point my end user is extremely frustrated (understandably so). Her ISP says that the laptop needs a NIC driver (i've checked, and rechecked, and checked again to make sure that it has the most up to date NIC driver).

Today I'm going to take her laptop home with me and see if I can get it to have any issues on my home network and troubleshoot the problem from there. Really the only possibility I can see from this point is letting her try one of my personal routers and seeing if having something with DCHP between the modem and her new laptop does the trick. I, clearely, need to learn more about networking.

Thanks for the help!

I "downgraded" her laptop to XP and it still was not able to connect to her modem. She power cycled it again and still no link lights; the old laptop however can still connect without a problem.

To try and troubleshot this further we sent a switch home with her (more of a distant hope, as we don't have a router to let her try) and she was able to get a link light on the modem and switch and then connect the laptop to the switch and get a link light there, but to no avail. At this point my end user is extremely frustrated (understandably so). Her ISP says that the laptop needs a NIC driver (i've checked, and rechecked, and checked again to make sure that it has the most up to date NIC driver).

Today I'm going to take her laptop home with me and see if I can get it to have any issues on my home network and troubleshoot the problem from there. Really the only possibility I can see from this point is letting her try one of my personal routers and seeing if having something with DCHP between the modem and her new laptop does the trick. I, clearely, need to learn more about networking.

Thanks for the help!

As I'm sure you'd expect, I was able to connect with her laptop on my home network with no problems. At this point the problem almost certainly is with her Modem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom