Can't connect to the net...

Status
Not open for further replies.

maximas

Baseband Member
I had some pretty bad viruses... I removed them using a malwarebytes and combofix, but now I am not able to connect to the internet. I'm not sure if it was something my son did while he was working on the PC or not. Here is the message I get in explorer: MSN.com is not set to establish a connection on port"world wide web service (http) with this computer.

Message from firefox: firefox is configured to use a proxy server that is refusing connections.

Networking is an area of computers that I am very weak in... Anyone have any advice?

Firefox:

•Click the "Tools" tab in Firefox which will display a drop-down menu. Click "Options" from the menu.
An Option Dialogue Box will appear. Select the "Advanced" tab.
On the "Advanced" screen, click the "Network" tab, and then the "Settings" tab.
Select the option that says "No Proxy."
Click "OK," then click "OK" again on the next screen. You have now disabled the proxy settings.

Disabling Firefox Proxy Setting on a MAC
Go to "Preferences" in Firefox.
Select "Advanced" and then "Network."
Select "Configure how Firefox connects to the Internet", and then "Settings."
Click the "Network" sub-tab, and then click "Settings."
Select "Direct connection to the Internet." Then click "OK."
Close any remaining pop-up windows. You have now disabled the proxy settings

Internet Explorer

Click the Tools menu item and select Internet Options. The location of the Tools menu depends on which version of Internet Explorer (IE) you are using. On IE 6, it is in the menu. On IE 7, it is on the right side of the tool bar.
Connections TabFrom the Internet Options window, select the Connections tab.
LAN Settings buttonClick the LAN Settings button.
Proxy Server SettingsFrom the LAN Settings window, make sure the Proxy Server check box is either CHECKED or UN-CHECKED depending on whether you are using a proxy. Most likely at home you will have it UN-CHECKED.
Click the OK button on the LAN Settings window, then click OK on the Internet Options window.

That did the trick. Thanks! Can a virus change those settings like that? I know I didn't.

Yup, most of the virus' and malware are being used for botnets so they change the proxy settings. You can still use the web regularly while you have the virus or malware but once you remove it. The proxy settings get messed up because the virus or malware is not controlling the traffic anymore so the proxy server settings crap out the internet.

Same thing as if I use an Anonymous proxy. At times the proxy will close and the settings stay there, my web crashes so I need to change the proxy;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom