can't complete XP workgroup setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaspar17

Beta member
I'm trying to set up a workgroup (home network) with just two computers: a desktop running XP Pro and a laptop running XP home. Both are connected to a router (that's connected to a cable modem). The notebook connects to the router wirelessly (and finds the Internet just fine). The desktop connects to the router via an ethernet cable (and also gets to the Internet without problem).

I have used the XP home network wizard on both machines (and actually had things working OK: I could play MP3 files from the desktop using software on the laptop. But suddenly, I got a "cannot access the network" type of error message: something about needing permission from the system administrator --- even though I'm listed in the admin role.

I've subsequently run the wizard multiple times and now can't even get the computers to see each other through "my network places."

I also have Norton Internet Security but this problem occurs even when I've disabled its firewall.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Art Carey

Thanks, but that link doesn't seem to help with XP Pro, at least with this XP amateur (meaning me).

My "network connections" are three:

1394 connection

local area connection

network bridge (10)

...and neither of the first two has an "advanced" tab or button viewable after I select "properties" upon right-clicking.

Similarly, I'm unable to locate the Internet Firewall that I assume is buried in XP Pro somewhere. It was easy to find in the XP Home on the notebook.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom