Cant access shared folder on server

etmccarthy13

Baseband Member
OK everything was working fine until i added a domain

Now I can still connect VPN remotely but i cant access the shared folder but i can still remote desktop into the server and have full functionality there\

Is there a security feature that needs to be changed?

Our user names originally were Name and now they are Company.local\name ... im sure its an easy fix but im not sure where to go

So from what I know there will be user groups that are automatically assigned once the Domain server is added, make sure you have the domain controller etc. all the basics.

Make sure that the user trying to access the share is in a group that allows these types of permissions.

If it is not that then have a look at the properties of the file at its original location and make sure that Deny is unticked and all of the other options are ticked for whichever usergroup the user belongs to.

Hope this helps, let me know.

and you may also need to change the IPV4 DNS settings on the host computer to the new domain server if it has not autmotically changed

It's a local permissions issue. Check how it's shared out. I'm going to venture to say before you had AD installed it was either a local group or a specific user that had permissions to the share. Now that you are part of a domain you have groups and domain users.

Go to the folder / share locally and go to the share properties - see how it's shared and who has access. A red flag for me is you trying to access something the same way prior to a domain being created.

I dont think its a sharing problem cause we can still all access the drive when we are locally connected.. we can connect when we VPN... But we can still remote into the server

Locally connected and connecting via share are completely different. One is NTFS permissions and the other share permissions.

So you get access denied when logged in locally to the file server as well and going through a share?

Could you please log into the file server, go to the properties of the folder in question and tell us what is under the Security tab as well as what is under the share tab.

Permissions can be tricky and if configured incorrectly can lock everyone out.

No when im logged in locally everything is working perfect... But when I VPN i dont have access for the drive unless i remote to the server while on VPN..

Security tab: Right now i have EVERYONE listed as FULL ACCESS -

Sharing tab ; Drive E:\ Shared .....

NETWORK PATH in sharing tab : \\Servername\e

Back
Top Bottom