Cannot print over the network

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobkon

Baseband Member
Hey, I have all my computers running on one network. they can all see each other and access each other fine. On one of the computers I have a printer set up. It is set up so it is to be shared. When going to "Add Printer" I can see the printer fine from other computers, but it cannot connect. I get an error:

"Windows cannot connect to the printer. Either the printer name was typed incorrectly, or the specified printer has lost its connection to the server. For more information, click Help"

I am selecting the printer from a list, and it still gives me that error. I also try typing in the printer name as follows:\\GATEWAY\hp officejet 6100 series - just as its listed, and I still get the same error.

The computer with the printer is running Windows 2000 while all other machines are running XP. All computers can connect to the Windows2000 machine just fine, but it cannot print thru it. Any ideas? And yes the Windows2000 machine can print fine.

Thanks in advance!

Go to control panel/ printers and faxes then right click on your printer select properties then go to the security tab click add then advanced then find now and add the "Everyone" group click Ok to save and exit.

I unshared then reshared, then restarted. No luck. Ive also double checked the permissions and its set to "EVERYONE". I read somewhere that I might have to install the driver on each computer? Is that right? how would that work if it doesnt even see a printer? How can I tell the driver where its installing to?

Yes you have to have the driver on your computer. You said you can access the share folder on the Win2000 machine but you can't access the printer? That sounds like a permission problem. Can you see the printer in My Network Place when you view workgroups?

Yes I can see the printer. I even renamed the printer and it shows up as the renamed printer on all computers, but I get an error that says "The printer name is invalid". And it does not connect. This is driving me nuts! :angry:

Are all other network resources accessed ok?

In other words, are there any other network issues you are dealing with right now?

I am wondering if this is just a stem-off from another issue or if this is the only issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom