Can I use a wireless router as an access point(?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipefitter174

Beta member
I hope I am using the correct terminology...let me just explain my situation:

I am currently using a D-link wireless router in my home as the primary source of my LAN. I just got a Blu-Ray player and want to hook it up to the internet so that I can get firmware updates, view bonus material, etc. Problem: my computer room is about 50 feet from my home theater room and I don't want to run cable through my house to the Blu-ray. However, I have my OLD router (a Linksys WRT56G) and am wondering if/how I can use this as a wireless access point. In other words...cable modem wired to D-link router, D-link router wireless to Linksys router, Linksys router wired to Blu-Ray. I've been told that it can be done, but no one at a certain big-box chain retailer will tell me how to do it without charging me $80 to talk to their "squad of socially inept individuals". Can this be done? I know I can purchase a wireless access point like a Linksys WAP54 or a Netgear XE102, but I already have the Linksys router and my wife has told me I've spent enough already!
Thanks in advance! Oh and please, when you respond, please type as though you are communicating to a child with poor motor skills and a tertiary knowledge of computers at best. Thanks!

I think that you may be confusing an access point with a bridge. By your setup, you will have a d-link sending a signal and the linksys wrt54g receiving right? In that case, the D-Link is your "access point" and your wrt54g is your bridge. Anyway, you'll want to setup the linksys device into a client bridge mode.

Let me find something on that. I know that it can do it, but I don't want to feed you a bunch of commands and stuff without giving you some reference material.

EDIT: Here try this
Now, when it refers to your router's SSID, it is referring to your D-Link. You are basically using your D-Link to broadcast a wireless signal to the Linksys WRT54g. So, the WRT54G really doesn't have "routing" functionality anymore... the reason why I say that is because they refer to "your router this, your router that" ... be careful because they may be referring to the D-Link most likely.. because that device is the true "router" in your setup.
Once, it is in client-bridge mode, you should be able to connect a basic networking cable from there to your Blu-Ray player. Let us know if you have any questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom