Can I add hardware firewall with my Linksys WRT54G?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LBTRS

Solid State Member
Hello,

I have a home network with one wired connection and three wireless connections. I want to add a hardware firewall (either by dlink or zyxel) but am wondering how I would integrate it into my already operating network. I would still need to keep the Linksys WRT54G for the wireless access, however, I don't want two routers on the network.

Can anyone please tell me if I can add a firewall/router and still use the WRT54G for the wireless access? If so, will I need any additional hardware other than the firewall and WRT54G (do I need a hub or switch)? I guess my main concern is having two routers on the network.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Ray

It depends what type of hardware firewall you are referring to, if this is another home router, than you shouldn't have two routers operating at the same time, rather then turn the second (linksys) into a wireless access point by simply turning the DHCP server off and using the LAN port to connect to the other router's LAN port.

Let me ask..why do you need another home router when this one should do the same job?

I don't want "another" router, I want a firewall. The firewall just happens to have a router built in, however, it's not a wireless device so I need to keep the linksys box.

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom