Can this be done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quake_City

Baseband Member
I want to have a multi port connection for the net so when friends and family come around they could connect up their laptops without me sitting there waiting for them to get done doing WTF ever their doing so I could get back online. I was unlucky enough to get my hands on a Linksys WRT54G; god only knows why anyone would make a router without a phone line inlet.

So I connected up the single port router to this Linksys WRT54G, I have a lan cable going from the single port router into the internet port of the Linksys with the crossover cable going from port 1 of the Linksys into the Ethernet card in my (host) computer. I was told this should connect me to the net but I can't even connect, let alone connect any other computer.

I tried reading some of the instructional topics posted but can't find where I'm going wrong if this is at all possible to do this?

Any help with the problem would be greatly appreciated!
CheersQ_C

Lets go through your post step by step to make sure that we are all on that same page...

god only knows why anyone would make a router without a phone line inlet.

What exactly do you mean by this? Are you trying to connect a phone cord from a laptop's modem to a same size port on the Linksys device? I think it's best to just forget about the "phone inlet" piece of the puzzle. It's not suppose to exist and I'm really not sure what you mean. Either way, it has nothing to do with part of the resolution. We can explain later.

So I connected up the single port router to this Linksys WRT54G

What is the "single port router" that you are referring to here? Your broadband modem? Can you give us the make/model of what you are referring to here please? It may pose no relevance but it will help paint the entire picture :)

I have a lan cable going from the single port router into the internet port of the Linksys

Good! Don't change this part :)

with the crossover cable going from port 1 of the Linksys into the Ethernet card in my (host) computer.

Change this cross-over cable to a regular straight-through cable... or "lan cable" as you refer to it before.

You have all of the pieces to make what you want happen, I just think that they are being used incorrectly. Connect a regular "lan cable" from port 1, 2, 3 or 4 on the WRT54G to your computer and then try to connect to the internet. We can go from there.

OK I guess what I've written is puzzling to some.
1. I had a router before I got the Linksys WRT54G, this router or some might call it a modem, has a single port to connect a lan cable to my computer and a phone line inlet which receives the ADSL2 signal from the ISP (I guess the router/modem converts or whatever this ADSL2 signal to something the computer users to connect to the net) or are things different from where you're located?
2. Why hasn't the Linksys WRT54G got its own phone line inlet which receives the ADSL2 signal from the ISP so I wouldn't need the first router (modem) or to make it easy for you? Why doesn't the Linksys come ready to use without needing a router/modem to connect to?
3. The Linksys WRT54G came with 2 crossover cable and I didn't get anything working until I started using both of them instead of the way I posted previously because I read on another site that's how they got theirs going! (With 2 crossover cables)
4. I'm pretty sure that you can use a crossover cable to do the job of a lan cable but not a lan cable to do the job of a crossover cable so that made no difference.
5. You really haven't told me anything I don't already know, in short you haven't told me anything to help, just criticize and if I needed any of that, I'd go see my ex-wife thank you!

Wow, I woke up early this morning, made some coffee and hopped on the net. I came here and saw that you posted this about 1 day ago with no replies. I thought that I would just try to help. But, I was a little confused by your post and thought that I would just try and dig a little deeper and try a little fact finding. I am in no way trying to criticize anything you said or you for that matter. Just trying to clear up your post so I that I can understand better.

I have 20 years experience with computers and 10 years networking experience. I'm not trying to gloat or sit here and babble off things that you may or may not already know that wouldn't somehow fit into the picture. I also have an extremely vast background in dealing with customer service. I didn't want to "jump to conclusions". I simply wanted to clear up your post a little so that I could understand it better, nothing more.

The Linksys device that you bought is a WRT54G. It's a Wireless Gateway/Router...nothing more. It's not supposed to have phone ports. In fact, a router has nothing to do with a device carrying phone ports. I could've told you that last time, but my intention wasn't to sit here and babble away as if I was just trying to make you look silly.... It was about trying to HELP you. You might be referring to me throwing quotes around the lan cable phrase. I did that so that you knew where in your post I was trying to connect with...not to make fun.

They also make the device you were referring to (ADSL Modem) http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...549006&pagename=Linksys/Common/VisitorWrapper

If you want help, fine. Because that's all I'm trying to do. But, if you want to tell someone that they are criticizing you when you are 100% wrong, then I'll pass and have someone else take a shot.

Dude you talk a lot but say little!
You still haven't filled me in on were I'm going wrong and if you had so much experience why did you tell me to get rid of the crossover cable considering I'm connected to this computer and this TD-8810 router/modem with a crossover cable writing to you and if it wasn't possible I couldn't be doing this!
I'm in another English speaking country we may not use the same terminology. I got that modem/router (TP-Link) whatever you like connected to the Linksys with crossover cables to work, not well but it did work, I couldn't get it to work at all using LAN cables.
All I did is pretty much follow the set up CD and used the cross over cables and I had this computer working fine no problems. It was when I connected the other computer using a crossover cable and gave it an IP of 192.168.2.1 that this computer started loading from the net really slow but the other computer was going good.
Not knowing what to do to fix that, I tried giving this computer another IP of 192.168.3.1 and that screwed everything and now I can't get it back to where I had the other computer good and this one slow which wouldn't be a bad starting point.
I know the Linksys is a wireless router but you can use it with cables. I don't really care how you take this post or the last; in short you've posted twice with no gain to me whatsoever, if you don't have any answers don't waste your time writing back!

Quake either play nice or this will be closed. There is no reason for such harsh responses. No need to compare Dr. IP to your Ex-Wife or say he talks alot but says little. Read the Forum rules. Rule #1 treat others as you wish to be treated. So unless you want to be insulted and belittled i suggest you stop now. At least he is trying to help. Unlike you who is just making the situation worse.

One could read a belittling in his response, but I guess that depends on which side of the pond you're standing. He posted twice with no answers to help in any way. To me he waste my time and your disk space, I've dealt with you before and you weren't been right but at least you had answers, I didn't have a go at you! If you don't like it, you have the button use it!

Yes i do have a button to use. And that button can prevent you from ever coming back here again. I actually agreed with his 2nd post cause i could not understand what you were getting at in the first post. So i will not ask nicely again. Play nice.

Being in the UK means nothing. I know several people over there that use the very SAME products we use over here. So that arguement is out the door.

Usign a cross over cable to due a LAN cables job? Link me to those articles please. That would a interesting read as to how that is done since a Cross over cable is used to connect 2 PC's via the Ethernet ports together. I do not see how they would work to transfer signal to the internet as there are a set of wires crossed in them for them to due what they are supposed to do. that is Cross over from 1 PC to another.

Now that was not a sarcatic comment in case you are wondering. As i would like to read up on that. It would take 2 croos over cables to do this but it seems odd way to due it rather than just using a LAN cable.

In a case like this where the situation is rather odd maybe your best bet would be to consult your ISP.

Quake City...the things you're saying make no sense...

Calling a modem a single port router isn't just weird its wrong...it doesn't route anything.

Saying you need a phone inlet when you are really suggesting a combo router/modem device is very odd...and there are some of those, you just don't have one. And people like me and people with T-1s or any connection not requiring a modem wouldn't want all of them to have a built-in modem.

I'm not even sure what you're trying to do.

If you want to have multiple computers on the net at the same time.

1. Run the modem's ethernet cable to the WAN port on a router.
2. Plug an ethernet cable into each port, usually 1-4, and then configure the router by visiting its IP (usually 192.168.1.1) in your browser.

If what you are after is a gain then here:

192.168.2.1 wont work with
unless you know what you are doing. You clearly dont and are upset by it or something. Either way, I'm just going to ignore your posts from now on. It's not worth trying to explain myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom