Can connect with Cable Modem without using AOL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

madmandave

Beta member
I am only 16 so I am stuck with my parent's lousy AOL (sorry to those offended, but it's just how I feel). I am connected via Linksys Wireless USB Network Adaptor to the cable modem in my Mom's office, and therfore have an established connection. When I boot, my adaptor says it is connected and is receiving and sending packets, but I cannot use Internet Explorer or other browsers or Internet-type programs until I login to my account on AOL first. My goal is to reach the net without having to open the AOL program everytime, if that is at all possible. It seems like it should be, but I am not really sure. Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

-Dave

do you get an error or something?
is the ISP AOL provided? I thought they just offered a broadband add on.
check to see if IE is trying to autoconfigure or if there are proxy configs that have been enbaled.

AOL has probably taken over your computer, if your ISP isn't AOL then its safe to say you CAN connect via Ethernet without using AOL.

AOL is probably providing your broadband connection. A friend of mine asked me the same question a week ago.

I would just run inetwiz and tell it to use to my local area connection and then in IE I would change to never dial a connection

if you use AOL you just can't do. AOL does that on purpose , supposely to keep your kids or somebody off the internet when you are not using it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom