Cable Amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

dungeon_master

Beta member
I was wondering if anyone would know if you linked two cable amplifiers in series.Would it boost the signal more? or have no adverse affects. Thank you for your help

I don't think it would give you additional boost, but you can try.
Best thing would be two get a really good bidirectional booster so your return path can get boosted too. if you get unidirectional your uploads will still suffer.
But good luck finding it in retail stores. Your best bet is to call cable company so they can test the line. You can buy really good booster from them for maybe $50-$80
They will bring spectrum analyzer to measure your signal strength and determine if you need more them one booster, but if you don't have many spliters, one should do.
Best solution would be amplified distribution panel. Ask your cable company for those.

Hmm...are you having signal problems? What is the problems, dropped connections or slow speeds. Usually slow speeds is not a symptom of low signal but rather an unstable connection.

I did have the cable company out yesterday.They found out it wasn't me again. It was the same thing as last year there card went bad at the filter station. My speed dropped to bottom of dsl. I was just gurious aabout the amplifier. I figured I would get some advice if it would work. The idea was just a stray thought. Thank you for all your replies.

If you put in an amp when your signal is fine to begin with, it'll likely only cause you problems. Especially if it is only a one-way amp. A one-way will block the return path of your cable modem and your modem wont stay online. Amplifiers, to a lot of people, seem to be the fix-everything trick, yet I see the Radio Shack-purchased ones cause more problems than good.

It does happen every so often that it is an outside-of-house problem that needs to be looked at...

The best bet is to just phone the cable company (as you did) and get someone to come out, and check the cabling to and in your house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom