Browser/Internet Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

JrDave2304

Beta member
I am currently having a problem with what I think are the internet browsers on my computer. The problem is that whenever I leave my computer, (its set so the the screen saver goes on and then the monitor turns off a little while after), I come back and cannot get to any webpages on either Firefox or IE. I get the "http://website.com could not be found." error in Firefox and "The page cannot be displayed" message in IE. Also, Thunderbird can't retrieve mail because it cannot connect to the mail server. The strange part, however, is that I have Trillian running and it stays connected. I also open up IRC and it connects sucessfully. I at first thought it was my wireless connection to my Belkin 54G router (a total of 6 connected...4 wired, 2 wirelessly), but I switched to a wired connection and the problem persists. I went into the router configurations and it says my internet status is "connected". To solve the problem I have to restart my computer. Once I do this I can browse fine. Im confused as to why this happens after my monitor goes off; I really don't see how that would affect the browser.

It doesn't happen eveytime, but often enough for it to be extremely annoying. Anyone got any ideas as to why this happening and/or how to fix this problem?

Thanks

When the problem occures, what does it say when you type ipconfig/all into a command window?
Do a spyware scan. Perhaps run Hijack-this, and post your log file.

sorry for the dealayed response, the problem hadn't occurred in a while; but tonight it did it again so here is the hijackthis log (attached) and ipconfig/all in the command prompt window:

ipconfig.jpg

Attachments

• hijackthis.txt
    5.4 KB · Views: 26
i can tell you this much: almost the exact same thing used to happen to me with completely different software & hardware, and then one day it just went away and everything worked fine :confused:

have you made sure you have all the latest drivers/software? sometimes that can make a difference.

You don't have dhcp enabled as per your screenshot. Try enabling that and see what happens.
In Xp, start>run>services.msc, look for the dhcp client in the list and make sure it says started.

Just a thought, maybe your NIC card power management is on and could be check to allow the computer to turn off the NIC to save power. Check the NIC property in device manager.

dnoch said:
Have you done an adware, spyware and virus scan?
yes i have a virus and spyware scan run every day

Fallen Angel said:
You don't have dhcp enabled as per your screenshot. Try enabling that and see what happens.
In Xp, start>run>services.msc, look for the dhcp client in the list and make sure it says started.
it currently says started, but next time this problem occurs ill check and see if it still say started

Law said:
Just a thought, maybe your NIC card power management is on and could be check to allow the computer to turn off the NIC to save power. Check the NIC property in device manager.
ahh yes, that was checked! hopefully now that its unchecked, that does the trick!

Thank you all very much for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom