Best Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godson

Beta member
Hi to all, I need to know which mode is best to use for an access point when setting it up for point to point, B mode or G mode, which 1 can go the longest distance?

Godson

What kind of distance are you trying to cover? 802.11G is going to have a higher througput than 802.11B. Depending on what you are trying to cover, you might want to get a new antenna for the router.

Distance is subject to a lot of variables and increased distance generally results in decreased throughput because of the increased number of retransmitted packets. If you're looking to have the most reliable connection at a distance, 802.11g supports long preamble, which will increase your chances of associating with the AP, and turning off signal hopping will generally keep the client from dropping the connection, though you have to find a good channel that has no interference.

I have channel hopping turned off and had to change my channel twice because my cordless phone would kill my connection every time I was using it on channel 6 and I never could figure out what was killing channel 8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom