Bandwidth Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

S0uRcE

Beta member
ok here's my setup..
I have a nice cable internet connection that's really fast, im a huge gamer and love css. I have my cable modem connected to a router that goes to my 3 computers. On one computer I host a cs server, mine i use to play on that server, the other one is used by my dad. He likes to download things using Bittorrent and he uses BitComet. Now whenever he has his bitcomet open it takes ALL the bandwidth, I can barely open a webpage. Also it makes my server's ping go to about 10000. This is fustrating, because it's a constant battle whenever I want to play. Is there anyway I can allow for more bandwidth, or separate each individual computers bandwidth? or block his bitcomet from operating using my router(which is a D-Link DI-604). I've already tried to filter out ports 6881-6999 which i believe is the usual .torrent ports. Somehow his bitcomet still reaches out and steals all my bandwidth. Is there any type of solution to my problem?

If its your router and your net connection, you can just unplug him. Otherwise, you'll need to implement QoS. It doesn't look like your router supports it. He may be able to configure his software to use less bandwidth (the official BT client lets you limit upload bandwidth). If not, you'll need a real router, or one of the "nice" Linksys wireless ones with hacked firmware. You may be able to find another Soho router that can do this, but either way you will need to buy new equippment.

You can install some software on your Dad's computer to limit the bandwidth. I had something and it was very good, I'll try to find it.

You might want to find out if he'd agree to this though.

yeah that program would be great, he'd be ok with that cuz he doesn't care when he gets what he downloads as long as he gets it. even tho less bandwidth = more time hes ok with that.

BeeDubya just showed me some nice software called NetLimiter

Looks like you put it in your PC, and it controls everything on the network. I havnt configured it yet

Well what I had was Nimbus but it's been discontinued and I can't get hold of it any more.

NetLimiter looks much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom