Arggg! DHCP ATT Uverse problems-- Please Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewBTekNTrainN

Beta member
Hello everyone! I am new to this group and need to get my these (2) systems up and running for this church web server and email server.

Ok so here is the big picture situation. I do NOT know much about router configs other then the basics of gateway and static IP and dynamic IP address simple stuff. My problem is that I have a ATT modem service to are area that will only allow a certain modem gateway to be used. It has a DHCP server built into the gateway, impossible to disable. I checked and double checked with ATT Uverse. I have 8 static IP addresses they gave me. I will make up these addresses just so you can follow along here.

Some History and background:
-----------------------------
I can USE (1) LAN Card off the mother board and/or add a 2nd LAN card in the PCi slot. My computer is new and fast and has 4 gig of ram and plenty of space. I doubt this is a hardware or software issue. More or less a Router setup and TCP/IP setup and DHCP problem.

88.23.110.7 used to be my Dynamic IP address. Supposely this could change at any time and renew. Always stayed the same no matter what they said about Dynamic Ip addresses changing. So this would come into my Uverse router and the DHCP server of my Uverse would give out 192.168.1.3 thru 192.168.1.50 to any desktop computers in the church. The gateway to enter the modem was 192.168.1.254.
Next....we purchased a set of IP static addresses:
We shall call them : these fake (8) here
55.22.117.71 thru 55.22.117.78
55.22.117.76 gets hard wired into the Uverse Modem as the new gateway address. (Why? No idea its just how Uverse sets it up)
55.22.117.77 is the Broadcast OUT
55.22.117.78 is the Broadcast IN
----------------------------------
So I am left with (5) Static IP adx's to give to my (2) servers here.
So Microsoft Small Business Server 2008 will go on 55.22.117.71 (or .72, or 73 or 74 or .75 doesnt matter really) Linux Server Fedora 10 same thing. So we will pu that on address 55.22.117.72
--------------------------------
Here is the problem. When I attempt to setup any Server, either Linux or Windows, it tells me. I have a DHCP server ALREADY on the network 55.22.117.76 (its telling me the address of the gateway every time) so please disconnect from the DHCP and then hit continue with the setup. And this makes perfect sense to me. The server wants to create its own DHCP server and spool out its own addresses. I get that.
--------------------------------------------------------
How can I solve this problem since I can NOT shut off my DHCP server on the Uverse gateway modem? Does anyone have a simple step by step solution? I can offer up any details on my gateway router options if you ask. And I guess I can inject another router or LAN card in between my server and gateway as well. So there are options here.

Or a web page site with details on this? Thank you so much for any help and God Bless! You can email privately or post here. Whatever you would prefer. I accept emails. :)

why is a dhcp server being created on a new OS install?

can you leave the machine you are installing disconnected form the network, disable dhcp, then connect it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom