aim connection problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

yamahaboy

Solid State Member
i have a new verison of aim and the connection doesnt work for crap. i have comcast cable. surfing the internet works fine and everything els i do on my computer is fine. i had ad-aware 6.0 and have norton anti-virus. here is my problem, on aim i can be talking and evertything will be fine for awhile and out of no where i dont get the other persons message. i click "get info" and it just says "please wait...." and it looks like i can still talk to them and my messages still show up on the screen but they dont get them and i dont get what they send. i have to sign off aim and then sign back on and it works fine for another small time period and them happens again. it mostly happens when im on the internet. i used to have internt explorer and now i have maxthon and it seems to be a LITTLE better but nothing great. i have tried to uninstall aim and then reinstall and it and nothing. i have tired earlier versions and nothing. this is really annoying and i need help! thanks,
Eric

What version of AIM do you have? Do you use Norton IS or any other type of firewall software?

Check the options under the firewall tab in the AIM preferences. If none of that works, try either forwarding the default AIM port through your router (port 5190) or try changing the port it uses (look up on their webpage for the different port options).

i have version 5.9 and yes i do have norton IS or internet security right??? im not really good at all this stuff.....what do u mean forwarding the default aim port through my router? under connection on aim it does say that its on port 5190 and i looked on there web page and couldnt find any other ports.....man is that stuff confusing lol
Eric

Oh, by the way, try disabling your firewall and see if that ehlps as well :D If that does work, than keep your current version of AIM if you'd like to. I hope everything works out for you. Please post your results.

-Dan The Man

ok, i dont think i can unplug my firewall. its a netsafe fire wall or SOMETHING like that. we have two computers in our house and i think there networked together with the firewall (for the internet neways) any other ideas? and my internt has been running VERY slow the last couple of days....how can i check my ping or w/e its called

just saw that other post of yours...i have allready tried the other version cuz thats what my one friend told me to try but the same thing happened so i switched to this verison...i have also tried tillion but that didnt work either...im out of ideas

Did you try disabling Norton IS and trying to connect?

If that does it, you can add AIM to have full access to the internet.

Other than that, I'm about as stumped as you.

i keep nortan IS disabled all the time now just bc i think it messes up my computer when its on. but i did somethig with my firwall yesturday and its been fine since :) ill post back tonight to tell you how it is...thanks for all the help
Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom