advanced home network

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt543

Solid State Member
ok i have 4 computers, with windows xp home and i want to make it run like a network in a work office, where a user can log on threw to 1 account on any computer. i dont know what i need for this or how exactly to do this

matt543 said:
ok i have 4 computers, with windows xp home and i want to make it run like a network in a work office, where a user can log on threw to 1 account on any computer. i dont know what i need for this or how exactly to do this

You need a domain controller running Active Directory (Windows 2000 server, Windows 2003 server)

Than you need all the clients using an operating system which can login to domains (XP Pro, Windows 2000). Windows XP HOME DOES NOT HAVE ACTIVE DIRECTORY. Theirfor, it CANNOT login to a domain.

ok i have copies of xp pro, what would i need to do to set it up after i reinstall the OS

I think your main concern should be getting the Windows server edition up and running like DJ Chris said.

ok but how do i get the server up and running im not sure how to do what he said

matt543 said:
ok but how do i get the server up and running im not sure how to do what he said

It's VERY complex, start reading. Upgrading and Reparing networks would be a good book.

Google around, you should come up with alot of information. Perhap I can point you in the right direction. Visit this link from Microsoft http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pr...tory/activedirectory/stepbystep/domcntrl.mspx

That's how setting up Windows 2003 server is at first. These same steps are the same for Windows 2000 server. Only client running Windows 2000 Pro and XP Pro can join the domain.

Of course you would have to get a copy of the server operating system. It's quite pricey even for the standard version. If you have any problem I can help you with 2000/2003 server.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom