ADSL problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qzman

Solid State Member
First I have to say that I'm a hardware noob, so please be patient. Thank you. :)
I have connected one of my PCs (we will call it PC 1) to Internet via ADSL router. Everything was ok, there were no problems. And then I bought a new PC (let's call it PC 2). And that's where the problems started. It wouldn't connect. The thing is, I can't see LAN icon in my connections. When I try to switch (just relocate to other room, PC 2) the router and the whole thing, just as it is on PC 1, to PC 2, when I plug the cable into PC 2, the orange lamp in the back is on, and "Power", "LAN" and "ADSL" lamps on my router are also on, but "Act" (which determines if connection is active) is off.
How do I fix this?
Now if I missed to say anything of value, please ask.
Thanks for your time and energy. :happy:

Have you set the new pc to automatically assign an ip address?

In the command console, type: ipconfig

for your ethernet local area connection, see if there is an ip address listed. If there is, what is it?

I typed "ipconfig" and I got the message "Windows IP Configuration". And that's all. :(

ah, sorry. eh, course it would say that if you weren't connected in the first place :)

ok, so right now you have a cable you know works, plugged into a port on the router (also works) so the only possible failing point is the pc.

If the little light near the lan port on the pc comes on that could mean several things, depending on your motherboard (or pci lan card if your're using one)

Sometimes it means the connection is at Gigabit speeds.
Also could mean there are packet collisions
Googled around a bit, could also mean you're running at half-duplex

To make it a bit easier, please post back with your motherboard model, and whether you're using your onboard lan or a card.

Thanks, dude... I'll try to dig something on the Internet. Motherboard is ASUS P5B... And I'm not so sure whether I'm using onboard lan or a card. :( If I had to guess, I'd say it's the first option. :D

Well, after seeing your mobo, I'd actually say the orange light means it IS connected (at gigabit speed).

So when you go to 'network connections', can you see anything in there at all? If there's a little greyed out computer there, right click on it and select 'enable'

You might have to create a new connection then. In the same 'network connections' area there will be a side bar on the left which has an option called 'create a new connection' (surprising I no) :) click on that.

setup internet on xp

then use the above link to help yourself through the setup.

No, that is just too simple. :p This is a real problem.
I think it's a driver issue. When I go to Device Manager, the one and only undetected/unsupported thing, marked with a yellow "?" mark, is "Ethernet Controller". I have searched something on the net, and I'm still searching, but if you or someone know something, please share... :)

That is a driver issue for sure. That is saying that there is no driver installed for your network device. Go to the PC Manufacturer's site and search by make and model you should be able to find the driver there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom