adsl/dsl

Status
Not open for further replies.

poetry8

Baseband Member
hi guys, i have a question. i have ntl broadband connected in my bedroom via a dsl modem. in my younger brothers room he has a pc and also in my room i have an xbox 360. i would like to connect my pc and xbox360 to the internet(wired) and my brothers pc in his room wireless. i know how to do this using a dsl router, but i also know that these can prove costly. this morning my mothers friend gave me free of charge a bt2700hgv bt buisness hub with voip and wifi functions. is there any way i can use this adsl router with my dsl connection? if not its off to the shops for me!

You should be able to use it.... I am not familiar with the model, but per the 2wire homepage, that modem is ok for ADSL broadband.

Does the router have a built in modem, or just a WAN ethernet port? If there isn't a built in modem, you just connect the WAN port to the modem. NOTE, if you have a modem on that phone line somewhere else in the house, and you want to have 2 modems on the same line it will NOT work... You would have to connect all of the hosts through one gateway.

The wireless will work as long as your brother uses an 802.11b or 802.11g adaptor on his PC... 802.11a will NOT work with this router, as it operates at a different frequency.

hi i think you misundersttod me, i dont have an adsl connection, i have a dsl connection but an adsl wireless router(model # bt2700hgv) will i be able to use this router with my ntl dsl connection?

The router should work for ADSL, as it is (to the best of my knowledge) the same technology, just that ADSL is a term used to describe a connection where the upload bandwidth is not as large as the download bandwidth.

On a side note, are you going to be REPLACING the gateway with this router, or simply adding it onto an existing network?

EDIT:
The gateway is the router/switch sitting behind the modem
/EDIT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom