2x routers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kray

Baseband Member
I have 2 routers right now.

A linksys WRT54G(wireless) and a BEFSR41(wired).

I want to set it up so that my modem is connected to the wired, which in turn "uplinks" to the wireless router.

How exactly do I set it up? Right now I got modem-->wired router (uplink slot)-->(wan/internet slot)wireless router. There's still no connection on the wireless router. I read up on it a little bit and i read something about having to set up either static or dynamic routing. I've played around with the dynamic settings on both routers to no avail.

Tried a bunch of stuff with the static routing settings but still no idea what exactly I have to put.

So how exactly do I setup a network with 2 routers?

[note: when testing connection on wireless router, I didn't connect wirelessly, but instead used the wired ports on it]

You got it setup wrong, your modem connects to the WAN port of the wired router then your wired router uplink port connects to the uplink port of the wireless router using a straightthrough cable (NOT the WAN port). if the uplink to uplink port doesn't light up you can try uplink to the LAN port or LAN port to LAN port.

Refer to this site, it should give you more information
http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin...HQ9cm91dGVyIHRvIHJvdXRlcg**&p_li=&p_topview=1

The wireless router doesn't have an uplink port. Only internet, and ports 1-4.

Then you should use the uplink port on the wire router and connect it to the LAN port 1 on the wirless router. You might need a crossover cable, but try using a straight through cable and see if the port lights up! Sometime ports are auto sensor, they can automaticly be configure to use whatever cable you install. But don't hope for this to happen.

Hmm looks like i might need to get one of these "crossover cables".

I followed these directions, which didn't work.

yea it usually comes down to that if don't have an uplink port. Try LAN port to LAN port using straight through cable.

I would try uplink from wired to Port 1 of the wireless router with a normal cable. log in to the wireless router and check the status and see if the wired router is releasing an Ip for it ,
also there maybe other settings you may have to change in the wireless router for it to see the other router.
check to make you don't have to enable passthrough for port 1/uplink of the wired router .
also note when uplink is used port one can not be used at the same time.

I'll check to see if there is something else if that doesn't help you.

Are you sure the routers aren't conflicting? If they both have the same IP address you will never get it working. Also remember if the 2 routers DO have differnt IP addresses then your computers will be on differnt subnets. To avoid hassles down the road I would put them all the same network. I just configured a 2x router setup for a customer and this is what I did....

First look at your router manual to see what the default IP is. In my case it was 192.168.0.1 w/255.255.255.0 for subnet mask for the WIRED router.

My WIRELESS router had an IP address of 192.168.1.1 w/subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.

Use one PC as your setup station. First set the IP address on the station manually to 192.168.1.2 then plug a CAT5 cable from the station to one of the WIRELESS routers lan ports. Open a web browser and type in 192.168.1.1 which should get you into the setup.

Change the LAN IP address on the WIRELESS router to 192.168.0.2, turn off DHCP, and set the function as a router rather than gateway.

Hook your cable modem CAT5 cable to your WIRED WAN port, hook a CAT5 cable from your WIRED UPLINK port to one of the LAN ports on the WIRELESS router. This worked for me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom