akasixcon

This is sparta!
My Setup Goal
Linksys
- Model:
WRT610N
- Goal: Dedicated 2.4GHz connection
- Uses: casual web browsing, email
- Complementary Devices: iPhone, iPod Touch, Laptop (when laptop is at a longer range)

TRENDNet
- Model:
TEW-672GR
- Goal: Dedicated 5GHz connection
- Uses: stream HD movies, xbox 360 / xbox live, transferring data files
- Complementary Devices: Laptop (when at a shorter range), Desktop Computer, Xbox 360, Slingbox Pro-HD

Why 2 Dedicated Routers?
- Problem with Linksys is that the router is flawed, as mentioned in the linksys forums, in which it would consistently drop connections if the 5GHz is enabled.
- My Trendnet router has no flaws other than dropping the 2.4GHz connection frequently due to interferance from other routers (I tried this trendnet router at my home and it never dropped) but with the 5GHz frequency it connects very stable.

My Current Setup
- I got an ethernet cable from the wall connecting to the WAN port of my Linksys Router.
- Port 1 ethernet connecting to my desktop
- Port 2 ethernet cable connecting to the Trendnet Router

Problem With Current Setup
- My trendnet router works as in the SSID shows.
- There is no internet connection in the Trendnet Router
- I double check to make sure that I am connected to the right SSID and it does show it was the Trendnet Router with limited connection.
- I switched the SSID from the network connections back to my Linksys connection and there is internet and everything.

Main Questions:
1) Does my goal for my setup of my home network make sense?
2) What would you do to make it better and more efficient?
3) How do I have 2 routers running at the same time that provides internet connection?
4) Is there a difference between of having an ethernet connecting to the main router and the secondary router connecting to the main router?

do i still plug the ethernet to the WAN even though DHCP is disabled for that router?

really? And once I do that, if I connect to that router that acts as a switch; it will be able to access the internet and stuff?

this is a good explanation of what you need to do.

The process should be as follow:

First Step: Plug a single computer to the second Router (make sure that the computer is configured to obtain DHCP automatically from the Router), change the IP address of the Router so that it's in the same subnet as the main Router (the one that is connected to the Internet Modem); give it an IP that doesn't conflict with the main router's base IP address, or the DHCP server range. This will ensure that you can reach the admin server of the old router from any LAN machine, and that the Wireless Clients IPs are assigned correctly.

Example:

- Main Router's base address is 192.168.1.1, with a DHCP server range of 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.150

- Set the Cable/DSL Router to (the one you're using as an Access Point) base address to any IP address between 192.168.1.151 to 192.168.1.250

Second Step: Switch Off the DHCP on the Wireless Cable/DSL Router, and set to Off any filters or special settings that is On if it is used as the main Router.

Plug the Wireless Router to the main Router. Regular Port to Regular Port, using crossover cable (or straight patch if one port is an Uplink).

Source

Your questions/concerns seemed to have been tended to pretty well here. But, I'd still like to comment on how respectful your original posts to start your threads are. You respect the level of detail thats required in most cases, not just to solve a problem, but just to properly assess the scenario.

This isn't the first time that I've seen you start out your threads like this and I can only wish that people would follow in this example... not to the letter.. but in a matter of listing detail in an effort to explain the problem the best way you can.... and also to convey that you have tried certain steps in order to come to whatever conclusion you are already at while still presenting the problem or question ... Thanks!!

how can i tell if a port is an uplink or not? and i can't use a straight over patch on the regular port to regular port?

Well, you can either check the product specifications on the manufacturers website or just get a straight cable and try the connection from one LAN port to another LAN port. Re-wording the answer a little, you are trying to find out if the ports can auto-detect a MDIX to MDIX or MDI to MDI connection in order to make one the opposite just for that port. An easy test is just to connect a stright cable between one LAN port to the other LAN port. If the connection links, then one of the devices has an auto-sensing ability. If it doesn't you'll need a crossover cable to make the connection between the LAN ports in these two like devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom