2 routers (firewalls) for server and home network???

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikepg

In Runtime
I want to set up a server on my cable modem. I'm not exactly sure if the setup I have planned is the best way to go. Here is what I'm thinking of.

Cable Modem
Router(1)
Server & Router(2)
Gigaswitch
Home PC's

Sorry abut the diagram, I hope you can understand. The server connects to the first router which is connected to the cable modem. Router(2) is connected to router(1). then my 3com gigaswitch runs to the entire home network. Is this workable? I figured that I'd have a firewall on both routers, this would make the home network behind 2 firewalls. Will the home network be able to access the internet through the 2 routers?

This should work. You will have to configure the second router to look to the first router as the gateway and DNS. Also make sure that they are in the same subnet.
Why are you putting the server off of the first router?

i like it and have a similar setup in my house but with a couple of servers.

The_Urge said:
Why are you putting the server off of the first router?
if he does this then he can run his server on a different subnet to his home computers and basically have two networks. If you get compromised it'll only affect your server - the rest of the computers will be safe. Also any internal traffic on router 2 will not be using up bandwidth that the server might want.

One thing to point out though is if you use different subnets for both routers then your home computers will be able to talk to your server no problem, your server however will not be able to talk to your home computers - but if it is a server then you wouldnt want it to anyway (if for some reason you did then you would have to do away with the second router and just chuck your switch in its place)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom