2 networks & 2 different internets HELP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwn6tex9

Beta member
Thank you for your time.

I have two small networks:

Network A has 4 computers and a Server with T1 line for Internet.

Network B has 6 computers and a Server with DSL for Internet.

I would like to connect both together and leave the Internet just like it is. The DSL line is for customer lines and I control all the machines when connected. The T1 Line is for my personal computers and would like to have the capabilities to transfer data from one network (A) to the other network (B) and back. But I want to keep security capability.

Everything I read says to use a Bridge, can someone explain the process or why only a bridge. I was trying to do it by Domain Name!

I am confused now.

Tex@Computer-Place.com

are you using manual ip addressing or dhcp? are your servers running dhcp? what os on the servers? if windows server pcs, you could prolly setup RRAS for network routing. have a point to point connection between the two servers. the clients pcs default gateway set to their respective servers. the servers use only their directly connected inet lines for inet access.

dwn6tex9 said:
Thank you for your time.

I have two small networks:

Network A has 4 computers and a Server with T1 line for Internet.

Network B has 6 computers and a Server with DSL for Internet.

I would like to connect both together and leave the Internet just like it is. The DSL line is for customer lines and I control all the machines when connected. The T1 Line is for my personal computers and would like to have the capabilities to transfer data from one network (A) to the other network (B) and back. But I want to keep security capability.

Everything I read says to use a Bridge, can someone explain the process or why only a bridge. I was trying to do it by Domain Name!

I am confused now.

Tex@Computer-Place.com

Just from what you have said I would say that a bridge is the best way to go with it. A bridge would keep the networks seperate and keep it so that the traffic that needs to stay on Network A stays on network A and only goes to Network B if you need something from it. So if you got two networks and you want them to operate as two networks but still have the ability to get to the other network a bridge would do that. I hope thats helps.

OP (Office Politics) since I am not to sure on this. I am trying to find out. Unfortanatlly I am very busy being a Mall Security, Substitute Teacher, Manage a Carpet Store.

Kobold, I agree however some local people said it will be hard to find a bridger. Any suggestions on kind I should look for?

dwn6tex9 said:
OP (Office Politics) since I am not to sure on this. I am trying to find out. Unfortanatlly I am very busy being a Mall Security, Substitute Teacher, Manage a Carpet Store.

Kobold, I agree however some local people said it will be hard to find a bridger. Any suggestions on kind I should look for?

You can go to tigerdirect.com or somewhere and pick up a switch for around 10 bucks. Its hard to find a device thats a bridge only but switches now basically are bridges just with multiple ports. You will have to adjust your network settings on Network A and B to make sure they can communicate. since bridges and switches are layer 2 devices they cant deal with Layer 3 addresses so youll have to make sure they are in the same IP range otherwise youll have to have a router to go between the two networks. I hope thats helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom