2 IPs on one line

Status
Not open for further replies.
i see what he is saying now, i didnt go to the link, as most sites are blocked here, but i followed it and it makes more sense if youre using the router as a DHCP, i guess im just thinking "home networking" not "work networking" and at home i use a switch, which is too "dumb" to act as a DHCP, so all my devices have to have their own IP, how much would a router like that cost? i might invest in one when i get my other computer up and running (as ill have at least 3 devices on my NWK at all times, if im not working on someon else's PC, which i almost constantly am, i have 3 other peoples PCs in my house right now awaiting parts and repairs, lol)

hell man, your talking like $40. that is all. The cost to run multiple IP's from an ISP should have made you look to that a while back...
There is a post by larry on this topic too. At home, I run 11 computers total and have a wireless AP, switch and firewall all running. The Firewall (linux PC)is the first device after the modem, then the switch, then the wireless AP. I have 3 other switches to allow more machines on the network. All of this is on 1 Cable provided IP running at 512KB.
All you have to make sure of is to never hook up a DHCP server directly to your cable modem. This will make them very unhappy and could cost you money...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom