2 Computers on same phone line network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cogwork

In Runtime
I have 2 PCs at home, both with 56k modems. Is it possible to network the PCs via my home phone line? Is there any special software and equipment I need to do this?
I have several spare modem-to-phonesocket leads if I'm required to chop them up and swap wires round.

I figured this would be a common question and that there would be a site online that explains how to do this, but I haven't managed to find anything more than someone saying "it can be done, but you should really set up an ethernet network.."

Thanks

Just trying to clarify what I want to to do. I've just been reading about cross over cables and hubs for ethernet based networks. I figured the same can be done with dial up modems and phone lines by swapping the data in and out lines of one modem-to-phone wire and so making the phone line one long crossover cable.
Does this work?

Well, modems and ethernet cards are two different beasts entirely...

You can not connect to machines via a modem without the assistance of dialer software and some pretty complex setup.

If these two machines are desktops, I would advise you to just go and buy two 10/100 network cards (about $10-$20 each) and install them...

Then, you could either create or buy a cross-over cable to connect them or you could get a few straight-through cables and connect them through a switch or a hub (a switch is full duplex so it will be about 2x faster than the hub would be)

If you went this route, you could even go as far as using internet connection sharing and and connect both machines to the internet at the same time...

The major benefit to networking computers together is the sharing of resources on your LAN (Local Area Network)... These resources include file storage space, internet, database information, and printers as well... (I much prefer having my printer networked between all of my computers than to have to put the file on a disk and carry it around or buy cartridges for 6 different printers)

K... I'm done.. :p

Squirrelly1 :D

Thanks Squirrel, unfortunately I've run out of PCI slots, and USB ones are to expensive.

I found a site for an electronics project called Linesim. It allows you to connect 2 phone devices together. It says it can be used to connect 2 PCs, but I can't make the device.

But, theres a link in that site for a project called Dumbsim, a simplified version of linesim - onewithout dial tone or ring signal, and I've found a program called Multicomm that seems to open my modem's phone line connection when I assign "null modem" mode to the modem's comm port. So now I'm wondering will dumbsim (being far simpler to make) allow me to connect the two pcs?

Linesim Site
Dumbsim Page

Actually, ignore that. I've been looking in to USB ethernet adaptors and I've found some for less than 10 pound each.
Is it right that all I need is a 15 meter cross cable and 2 USB-ethernet adaptors?
Do most of these ethernet adaptors require USB2.0? - because I think mine are older.

I'm looking at crossover cables on amazon.co.uk. This 20 meter one is £3.50 - 50p cheaper than a 15 meter one. Are there differences between crossover cables? What does RJ45 mean?

Amazon 20m Crossover

The cross-over cable and the ethernet adapters should be all you need. You may need to run ICS to get the computers to find each other.

I don't believe that the adapters need USB2.0. They'll just run slower on your machine if the don't have it.

There shouldn't be much of a difference between crossover cables. Quality would be about the only thing that I can think of.

RJ45 is just the jack. That's a standard for ethernet. Basically looks like a phone jack, with 2 extra pairs of pins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom