xine...? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Linux and Open Source
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 09:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default xine...?

i've got FC2 and im trying to install xine. I've got rpms, tars and all kinds of stuff up the wazoo and i get dependency errors (usu. stuff like"lib so and so is needed"). I dont have an internet connection under fedora (winmodem ) so please dont suggest using apt, although that'd be nice. I looked at xine.sf.net, and i dont know whether to D/L all the tarballs or not to get xine to work. Any suggestions? thanks...

Old 11-10-2004, 09:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

you need to find what dependencies xine has and then check to see if they are installed, off the top of my head you will need xinelib,the X libraries(should have those already), and not sure what else, I think it uses a gnome library or two but not sure.

just my opinion, but you may want to try mplayer instead, it is the best video player period, it plays anything.Its command line, that bothers some folks, isnt tuff to type mplayer <moviename> or mplayer dvd://1 though really.

Old 11-10-2004, 10:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default err ok

yeah i use mplayer its just that i saw XINE in use today and thought it looked cooler (and mite work better) than mplayer. And yes, i do know there are skins for mplayer.
Old 11-10-2004, 10:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie

ive tried xine, the video players for KDE and gnome too, mplayer kicks all their butts, its clean,fast, plays anything, and just works.Plus it has the added bonus of mencoder and you can compile it with support for other things as well.Probably one of the most versatile programs Ive ever encountered, hard to believe its free and open source.
Old 11-11-2004, 08:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to s0me0ne Send a message via Yahoo to s0me0ne

look into APT-GET its not "1337" but its simple. Installs packages and depens for you. http://apt.freshrpms.net/ mihy be worth looking into
Old 11-13-2004, 07:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

ok thanks
Old 11-13-2004, 08:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Horndude, I don't think it uses a Gnome library. gxine does, but not xine...otherwise, what would be the point have having two seperate programs? (or am I completely wrong and there are two completely different media players with the word "xine" in them?)

Are you using KDE in Fedora out of curiosity?
Error: Keyboard not attached. Please press F1 to continue. <pre>-------OS----------Gentoo Linux-------<br>------Browser-----Mozilla Firefox-----</pre><form action="http://www.srsyo.org/tfsearch.php" method="get"><input type="text" name="search"> <input type="submit" name="submit" value="Search the Forums, thanks to Emily"></form>

|||Official Forum Rules|||<hr>
Old 11-13-2004, 08:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

yes