Worth fixing or ditchin'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

latamesh

Baseband Member
Found a Shuttle PC with WinTV card in the basement so I thought, cool I can do PVR!

Instead of updating WinXP I decided to try Mythbuntu, installing on the entire HDD.

Biiigggg mistake.

Can't get beyond username and password commands to sign on.

Tried other Linux distros. No luck.

Tried reinstalling WinXp. No luck.

Ubuntu forum is no help.

Suggestions?

I think it's an AMD 2700 with either 512 or 256 RAM. The PC is maybe 4 years old. I replaced with fresh Lithium battery but bios is outdated and last time it was updated was 2005 from the Shuttle PC website.

Worth fixing or ditchin' to recycling center?

Tried Ubuntu with no luck? Does it just freeze up or something? Bad Keyboard jack?

You said it was sitting did you clean out the inside of the PC of all the dust? Maybe there is a dead mouse on the CPU fan. ;)

Just kidding.

I would first check the inside. Make sure there is no dust build up. I would then test the fans and use your main keyboard and that as a base for this system. IF your keyboard works on your main PC but not this one i would say bad PS/2 port. Or bad USB port.

Could also be something like a BIOS update that is needed.

It was stored in its original box so it was dust free.

Nothing bad AFAIK. Just that it boots into command prompts, not GUI interface that I'm used to seeing. I mean Ubuntu Command prompt, not DOS prompt.

Keyboard is fine, I swap between my Ubuntu PC and the Shuttle PC.

However, since I used the entire HDD for Mythbuntu, what partitioning software I should use so that I can squeeze some out for WinXP installation?

Last recourse could be the bios. I'd rather donate PC than mess with bios. Last time I did I had to bring my PC to a shop. Shop fees will def cost more than what this Shuttle PC is worth.

Use GParted. It is the best.

I dont know the command off hand to start the GUI. Which version of Ubuntu did you use? The newest 8.10 that is out there?

Since it is a older PC the BIUOS would be a pain now. But the newer ones have a quick and easy flash utility that can be done via Windows.

I would personally flash via usb stick and wipe the hardrive and install maryan (designed for old hardware) then if that runs retry ubuntu and download the myth pack

If you mean you typed your username, hit enter and then tried to type in your password but nothing appeared on the screen, this is normal. When you type in the password it won't look like anything is happenning.

Exactly! How do I get around that?

And btw, I just burned Gparted boot disk. Thanks for the suggestion. I looked at the USB instructions and figured the CD was a lot easier to do.

It's not something you need to get around. After you have typed in your username, hit enter and it will prompt you for a password. At this point enter your password and hit enter, while you are typing the password it won't look like anything is happenning but when you hit enter it will log you in. Then if you want to you can use the startx command.

It's not something you need to get around. After you have typed in your username, hit enter and it will prompt you for a password. At this point enter your password and hit enter, while you are typing the password it won't look like anything is happenning but when you hit enter it will log you in. Then if you want to you can use the startx command.

After I hit Enter, it ask me for my username and password, so it goes into a continual loop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom