Why Linux cannot replace Windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
linux is too complicated for the average pc user I am a pro linux supporter but I can admit that there is the occasional moment when you have to type a code into the Terminal to fix a problem. the support for linux is also mainly forum based a lot of people cant be bothered with the hassle of fixing the problem them self when it is easier just to call up a technician or send it straight back to whoever manufactured it they don't know how or why a computer works they just want the pictures to appear on the screen so that they can do what they want to do

Linux is not too complicated for the average user. It's just that everyone is familiarized with Windows...

Think of the first time you used a non-DOS operating system. 99 chances out of 100, that OS was Windows. If you started learning to use a computer with Linux, you would probably be just as familiar with Linux as the average Windows user is.

i am not 'pro' any OS, but i just cant stand it when people defend windows on a basis that implys any other OS had a chance

i think you misunderstand my point about marketting, how can an operating system that is distributed for free pay for marketting? You are right in saying that marketting is a very important tool but to me that seems to contradict your point because it would give Microsoft products a natural edge over the 'competition'

I agree with WorldIndustries, i am always hearing stories of how complete novice computer users are given a Linux based OS and they take to it like it was totally natural. its usually only people who have been using windows for extended periods who find the transition difficult.

I cant agree with Saltynay though. as i have already said, i dont think that Linux is too dificult to use at all its usually experienced windows users who find it harder to begin with. As far as i am concerned bash is far more intuitive than any DOS commands and actually i find myself using it for most things as a preference over GUI even where there is one available!

As for support, well there is a lot of forum and wiki based support but there is plenty there and if its command help then linux beats windows hands down with its man pages there is far more information than for MS for all commands, not just some

I can admit that there is the occasional moment when you have to type a code into the Terminal to fix a problem.
If you get familiar with the terminal it will become your new best friend. Often times I do things from the command line instead of the GUI to save time. But generally I think people who switch over from Windows hate the command line, for some reason.

yup Microsoft will probably do anything to keep their OS on top

Especially now with the unnecessary amounts of money they are making on Vista, and the disgusting amount of money they've made over the years.

If you get familiar with the terminal it will become your new best friend. Often times I do things from the command line instead of the GUI to save time. But generally I think people who switch over from Windows hate the command line, for some reason.

Personally, being a Windows user all my life, yet having tried linux, i love the command line. Couldn't tell you exactly why, but i can deal with the command line very easily, except when i try to figure out a command i don't know.

Linux's biggest issue with replacing windows is usability. Even if a person's first PC was a linux machine, it would still be far more complicated for the average user. Take for example installing a program in fedora, vs installing it in windows.

Fedora you typically have to start terminal, then change to root (unless you've already set up your account as having root privileges, which takes another dozen steps) then type in an obscure command referencing the file and quite often more files available off the internet. Then a large amount of cryptic information appears which if you're not quite good with linux commands are absolutely useless if the prog fails to install properly, as can quite often be caused by something so simple as a typo.

Windows you slap the disc in and a windows appears with the word "Install" on it.

There's also marketability (Dunno if that's even a real word) for linux/windows.
If you make a piece of software for windows, 90% of all PC's in america can use it. You make one for linux, you're looking at about 5% or so. That 5% marketshare makes it rather unprofitable for companies to design software for linux, or even to make it compatible. Due to it being open source, even OpenGL has fallen behind directX.

Finally there's support as someone said earlier. And that's not just from an end user standpoint, that's from a developer's too. With windows while developing software, you have a multi billion dollar company providing round the clock world wide product support. With most editions of linux, you get forum support and a wiki entry.

I'm neither a lover or a hater of Windows nor of Linux, both have issues people don't want to admit to, or else want to overhype. I Would love to see Linux atleast grab a good chunk of the marketshare as Microsoft holds a virtual monopoly, and really has little incentive to improve their software.

Linux needs to first improve it's user interface. Make it more automated and simplistic for the average user, but leave the option in there to truly customize it by advanced users (IE. to turn off those automated services). Then it needs to work on getting more developers to work with linux or provide linux support. Which isn't likely to happen with linux being opensourced, since GETTING that support will require a company that can fully back their software and make the calls, the marketing and the effort required to convince these companies it would be profitable to offer linux compatibility.

Fedora you typically have to start terminal, then change to root (unless you've already set up your account as having root privileges, which takes another dozen steps) then type in an obscure command referencing the file and quite often more files available off the internet. Then a large amount of cryptic information appears which if you're not quite good with linux commands are absolutely useless if the prog fails to install properly, as can quite often be caused by something so simple as a typo.
That's an overstatement to an outrageous degree. If you have yum or apt, you can just get a program, no mess involved, and it's far cleaner than any Windows Installer package because it removes cleanly.

i agree with alot of which i've seen about linux. I ran ubuntu for awhile before i simply removed it due to my familiarity with windows. I haven't had a linux os on my pc due to hardware restraints(hard drive specifically) . I really enjoy the clean interface that linux shells(Ubuntu, fedora etc) all are capable of. they install and remove much cleaner then windows, after my third install of windows xp, i've noticed a degrade in performance and some files left over from previous installs. bottom line is, windows in any form is a greedy marketted base os that people are familiar with. you ask the average person what they use their pcs for and what is it? internet, banking, writing, pictures. ubuntu in all of its baby fashion is perfect for most average users, but windows 'markets' on the idea of a glossier, fresher 'cleaner' look with vista etc. besides, your not going to get the same security from linux unless you run vista ultimate as well.

i was gonna say if Linux was the first OS then it probably would be on top but then apple was the first OS and Microsoft have bashed it out the way quite literally

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom