Where can i download linux live boot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

overlord20

Fully Optimized
I want to download linux to a cd to live boot. i dont want to replace my os i sometimes want the features of linux. so if i had a live boot cd or if i knew how to make one that would be great. also is it possible to install a second os onto my computer without losing an information or anything?

Overlord

check out ubuntu.com and download an ISO image, then using some burning software (nero if you have it or else try deepburner which is free) burn the image to disc. you must use the image burning mode of the software though or it won't work.

yes you can install a second OS without losing data. look for some guides on how to "dual boot".

There are many linux distros you can choose from. Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xbuntu, Linux Mint, Slackware, and Knoppix. If you just want a linux live cd, and you dont want to install then i would choose Knoppix you can download it from Knoppix Linux

Have fun,
Nick

Just note - when you are running a LiveCD, it may seem slow. Don't judge this based on Linux's fault. A LiveCD is running from the CD, not the hard drive which is blazingly faster. After installing Linux, regardless of which distro, you will notice a speed difference vs the LiveCD. But, the LiveCD is great to mess around with to make sure you want to try it.

Happy Linux-ing. :)

i got got ubuntu 8.04 burned to a dvd. do most windows programs like windows live messenger and word work with linux?

EDIT: I tried to boot from cd but it would let me. it just went straight to windows xp. how do i boot from the dvd?

Hello,

WLM and word do not work with Linux. You will have to use Pidgin or aMSN along with Open Office.

Do you have the BIOS set to boot from the Optical Drive first?

Cheers,
Mak

Yes I went into bios and put optical drive first.. didnt work so i went into boot mode from start up and picked boot from hp blah blah optical drive. still keeps going to the same screen. windows did not start properlly do this this this or that... this is irritating me lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom