Ubuntu: Mounting stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoysNightOut

In Runtime
I installed the Ubuntu OS on my F: Disk...a 3rd HD in my case. So I have a dual-boot system now with XP Pro and Ubuntu...so I started Ubuntu and booted to it...but have some questions.

In the explorer/computer optino to view "my computer" in Windows, I can see my DVD/RW drive, all of my HD's show up, but when I click them they say "can't mount" or something of that nature. I can get into my drive that Linux is on though of course.

Also- Firefox won't work and I don't have internet anymore when using the Linux OS...do I have to reinstall my stuff just like on Windows? Or is there a command line to enable all this stuff.

As you can tell, I'm trying to teach myself Linux LOL. I've been reading an Intro to Linux online tutorial and have been going back and forth to learn things and teach myself because of course doing it is the best method of learning...however I figured I'd just shoot for some quick help if possible. I read through some man pages too, but didn't find what I was looking for...

There is no "F:" or any of that, it's /dev/hda1, etc.

Sorry, I'd type more about this but I've just lost the will to help people anymore. I just don't care anymore... :confused:

Yeah I know there's no F drive and that it's the dev/ thingies, I just don't get the whole I can't access stuff thing heh. I'll try to figure it out.

You've helped me plenty with advice and what not in the past General so I can't complain! Thanks for everything on this forum, you did help a lot of people!

you have to mount your hdd partitions individually by logging in as root. in the terminal type "man mount" and you will get to know the mount command. locate your hdd partitions in " dev" folder and give its entire path while mounting them. also these partitions should be FAT32 and NOT NTFS. if it is NTFS then go on google and get a good tool to mount ntfs partitions !! hope this helps!! c ya!

Awesome thanks for the advice.

yeah they're NTFS, because one is Windows XP and other 2 are Windows file types. I don't really need to mount them I guess. I just wanted to mess around and figure out why the **** I couldn't open them up heh.

I do need to mount my DVD/RW though, that's for sure so thanks for the input on mounting.

Now to figure out the internet on there. Mozilla is installed, but is there a special command to get it running properly...maybe I need to install my D-Link wireless adapter software on that HD also...just like in Windows.

Ubuntu should auto mount when you insert a disc. You can't mount the DVD/RW without a disc because there is nothing to mount. If it isn't auto mounting then try :-
Code:
sudo mount /dev/hd[letter_of_device]
mount will try to guess the file type. Otherwise
Code:
sudo mount -t [file_type] /dev/hd[letter] [mount_location])]
See man mount for file types.

BoysNightOut said:
Now to figure out the internet on there. Mozilla is installed, but is there a special command to get it running properly...maybe I need to install my D-Link wireless adapter software on that HD also...just like in Windows.

The wireless card you're using might not be supported under (Ubuntu?) whatever Linux distro you're running. You can always try just plugging in your ethernet connection into your wireless router, that should get you up and running the quickest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom