Ubuntu installation...

Status
Not open for further replies.

b0dge

Hiphopapotamus.
Hey,

Just installed Ubuntu 6.06 simply because i've never used linux/BSD etc before and thought i'd see what all the fuss was about.

Everything seemed to go perfectly until i actually booted into Ubuntu and all i get is the boot screen ("Ubuntu" at the top and the loading bar with "loading blahblah ok" under that).

Then, just as it seems like it should be going into the "desktop" I just get multicoloured stripes!

Could it be that I need to install a Linux driver for my 6800gs? If so, can anyone tell me how to do it, from downloading in windows to installing from the command line in Ubuntu (if that's how it's done!)?

Cheers guys
B

When it gets to the multi-coloured stripes, press ctrl+alt+F1 immediately and type:

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
[Type your password, it will not show up as you type it]

Then do:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

When it asks what driver to use, do not use the "nv" driver, instead pick VESA.

Hit enter over and over until you get back to the command prompt, type:

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start

You should be good to go, post back and I'll help you install the nvidia drivers.

It worked! Woo-Hoo!!

The GUI looks impressive.. Only thing is, I must've typed my password wrong when i installed cos it won't let me past the login screen now...! Is there any way I can create a new user or change my original p/w without knowing it?
Or should i just re install (without using my fists to type the password!)

If it's not one thing, it's another.....

lol

If you were able to do all that, then use the same password you used when you typed the commands starting with sudo.

AFAIK you'll have to reinstall if you forgot your password... :confused:

It wouldn't work the way told me at first (incorrect login), so i rebooted and used the recovery mode thingy, and i didn't need to use a p/w.

Guess I'll be reinstalling now....

Will you still be on here in about 3/4 hour?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom