Ubuntu 13.04 thoughts?

Thorax_the_Impaler

Minecraft Veteran
Hello everybody!

Well I will certainly say I have been a Linux fan-boy since I first discovered it. But, I have to admit I did not much like Ubuntu's 12.10 release. I found it to be glitchy and unreliable, at least on the hardware I tried it on (keeping in mind most of my hardware is fairly old). With that being said I recently saw that Ubuntu 13.04 is available and I was wondering if anyone had tried it yet and what their thoughts on it were? I've read quite a few things saying not much has changed except for some GUI changes and such. But I'd like to hear any opinions you guys have! Thank you in advance everyone!

Like you, 12.10 was somewhat uneventful in my opinion. It offered little new features however it gave me a few minor headaches. I ended up spending the bulk of my time on the LTS.

I switched to 13.04 when I switched laptops recently when 13.04 was still about a month from release. I installed it and have had very little issues. What issues I ran into were very minimal. I think the biggest issue I ran into was I cannot stream videos to VLC over my LAN using Samba/GVFS (where you go to Nautilus and smb://ip.of.smb.server and go from there). I reported a bug here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1176379

That's about it, though. Everything else is very nice, fast, etc. I would however recommend turning off blur in the dash via Unity Tweak Tool (available in the repos). I've found it sped up my lower powered systems considerably.

Other than that, 13.04 isn't an earth shattering release in terms of new features. In fact, some features that were supposed to land in 13.04 were pulled and set for 13.10 instead. At any rate, I'd rather have less features that are well rounded than too much too fast that's half baked.

13.04 has been fantastic for me... 13.10 is shaping up really well too. I am running 13.04 on my main home computer and 13.10 on my testing computer.

For you Gnome Shell fans, check out Ubuntu GNOME. I've been running it recently as I've been starting to like Gnome Shell more than Unity. I can't say I regret my switch at all. Just a thought!

Back
Top Bottom