SuSE 9.3 problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Astroman

Baseband Member
I have downloaded the entire Linux 9.3 CDs (5 of em) and am trying to install it on a P III 512 ram. After downloading, I checked each ISO with MD5SUMS, and all were fine. When I booted with the first CD in, I checked the media (which was strongly reccomended), and MD5SUMS were no identical, and the test failed. I decided to continue nevertheless, since I had checked the MD5s after downloading, they should be fine. After half a minuter or so after installation began, I had a file which couldn't install, and I had to abort installation. A) If my CD is faulty, that would be weird, since it was still in the case unopened. B) If I have to burn another CD with the 1rst part of the install, how can I be sure MD5SUMS will match, because I wouldn't like to waste another CD. BTW, I burned each ISO using MagicISO.

Later...

I tried to burn another CD of the first part of the installation at 8x thinking it could be a too fast speed the first time (it was at 52x), but when I tried to install, I checked the media again and MD5SUMS didn't work. HOW DO I GET IT TO WORK??

Astroman,

Try D/L it from another site. sometimes the iso's are screwed up. This is Common, it might help.

Have you D/L the right type of iso? for Example you don't use A 64 bit processor do you cause there is another iso for that

I've tried 3 versions of SUSE and they all hung up on me, they were slow, media didn't work too well etc. Ditch SUSE and go elseware

Those are my suggestions, hope they help

Jake

I just installed Open Suse 9.3 and I haven't had a problem. I also didn't run the tests.... I really didn't care of I had issues because I was loading it on a laptop as something to play with. As for the OS, I love it. It's a good distro for dual booting as well.

Any suggestions on another strong FREE Linux alternative? Preferrably that has FTP install.

Also, I am not downloading 64 bit edition; but i386.

I havent had many problems with suse though, i had no problems installing it and i have also installed it on other PCs because other people also wanted the system. The system works nice and is the most user-friendly linux system i have ever used. Another alternative i could recommand would be debian, but i would also suggest Fedora.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom