Stuck during install?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeftEyeBlind

In Runtime
Tried to install Ubunutu again today, via the advanced disk.. It was working fine, it installed the core OS and whatnot and it was on one of the final steps, installing optional services and whatnot... And it got stuck at 6%, and it does everytime I try to install it, I let it sit for a good 25 minutes one time... no such luck..

Is this supposed to happen?

I tried ripping the CD out and the installation told me that a step had failed (which is obviously because I ripped the cd out) ...I continued the install and skipped the step, but then when I booted into Ubuntu I got a command prompt, I want the pretty GUI.

I don't believe they've made it a feature to crap out in the middle of the install. (/sarcasm)

If you are feeling frisky you can isntall whatever window manager you wanted to use from the command line then set it to boot to that window manager. (If you are interested in doing it that way I'm sure we could help you through it)

Otherwise, I would recommend verifying that the ISO you downloaded was not corrupted or damaged and probably re-burn the disk you are installing from. Or look into an alternate install method rather than the GUI install. You'll have the same final product, only you won't have the live CD install environment.

It sounds as if the CD is bad. Did you do a MD5 check on the ISO before you burned the disk?

What are the specs of your computer? I've had similar issues installing it on really old systems, but if it's a new system, try a different CD-ROM/RW/DVD drive or a different CD. If all else fails, order a pre-made pressed CD from shipit, they're free and are the normal (not CD-R) kind.

seems it's just about all been said. i agree with mBernhardt, CLI installation of a window manager seems like a good idea, i'll help out if you want.

what are the full specs of the PC you are trying to install on and what version of Ubuntu are you trying. you could also give Debian Etch/Sid a try or one of the other Ubuntu variants (Kubuntu, Xubuntu etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom