.src.rpm

Status
Not open for further replies.
somethings seriously wrong, which X server does redhat 9 use?

do you have the X development package installed?

what exactly is on your system, it appears what you downloaded is the base source code for Xorg X server,and that is NOT what you need.

how big is that file?

secondly put your install disk(s) back in and look for the x development package and install that if it isnt on your system already

I swear Id really like to kill these idiots these days for not shipping complete distro's, Suse is real bad about this, and my experience with redhat has not been good

wrong file, thats the entire base for X, not what you need, im guessing you only need the X devlopment package, which isnt very big, its just a set of apps and libraries that allows other programs to use X more effectively.

Im not sure what redhat is gonna call it, but it should be on your install disk, mount it, cd into it, and have a look in whatever section it keeps the files for X, find that development package and install it, occasionally some distro's dont install it by default.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/history/288497

lots of others with same problem, doesnt look good either, typical redhat dependency issues and crappy support

dont think what you need is on your install disk by the looks of it, not sure what to tell you exactly, it looks like uninstalling X and changing to another version MAY work, but it may break other things in the process, my best advice is dump it, download a better supported and widely used distro, my recommendation is slackware, but getting everything to work right after install takes a bit of know how sometimes, but at least it comes with EVERYTHING, and its the most popular distro made, killer support, and even their website has everything available for download right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom