spyware on linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

shenvoid01

In Runtime
Hello all recently downloaded limewire for linux and shortly afterward my facebook account was hijacked. Thus I am under the impression that there is spyware on my computer even though it is linux. I am wondering if what anti spyware software there is for linux, I wont be visiting anymore sites until I scan. I successfully removed lime wire I just want to make sure the spy ware is gone. What would you reccommend?

I am not aware of any spyware that even exists on Linux, but that doesn't mean it's possible. I have Frost Wire on Linux (the open source cousin of Lime Wire) and I haven't had any problems whatsoever.

Are you sure it was a Linux related issue? Do you dual boot? Could it be possible your account got jacked by other means?

There are many ways to hijack a Facebook account and most of them dont involve your PC. They could have easily gotten this information from the server with brute force or one of the many other ways that they use to hack facebook to infect people's PC with viruses etc.

I wouldnt jump to the conclusion that your PC is infected right away.

Facebook and security do not belong in the same sentence, even for a social media site there security is prity much full of fail.

But as mak said there are many ways that some one could have jacked your account many of them do not involve your computer, but spy ware for Linux is rair but it is encounterd every now an then in the wild.

I don't dual boot I just thought it was strange that my account was never hijacked before and not even a day after I downloaded limewire now I am apprehensive because I don't want to access my bank account while under the suspicion that I have malware on my pc.

OK mate post in the virus area myself or Osiris will walk youthough malware removal, but may I ask what AV programs are you using?

That's the thing, I don't have one for ubuntu because almost all of the malware is supposed to be for systems like windows or macs. On Windows I used AVG, but that doesn't work on ubuntu that's my problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom