My computer deletes files on its own

Figheter

Beta member
Basically every time I install a game or anything onto one of my hardrives it works perfectly fine for a few hours when I go off the app and come back to it later on through the day it's missing random files this also happens a lot when I turn my computer off and back on random files will be gone and my application will bring up errors I do not understand I have factory reset my computer reformatted my ssd and my 2tb hardrive which I have noticed I only have the problem with the 2tb hardrive I've checked for viruses spyware etc there is nothing there the only thing I can think of is that the hardrive is broken I am sick of having to reinstall games apps because off this issue I would just like a answer if it is broken or if I can resolve this issue please help thank you

So when you say deleted - are they files that are new? Or are old files also deleted? Does it undo changes to files or just outright deletes them if they've been modified as well?

When you run chkdsk...are any bad sectors being reported? Does it say it repairs any issues with the drive? When is the last time you ran chkdsk? When you ran it, did you choose the option to find/repair bad sectors?

I suggest doing it again, with the repair flag.

Start -> type 'cmd' (without quotes) -> right click -> run as admin -> in the console window that pops up type (replace C with whatever drive letter your 2TB drive is):
chkdsk C: /f /r
Press Enter and it will say it cannot lock the current drive and to run on next reboot. Type Y and hit Enter -> Reboot your computer and let it run through the check (it may take some time, depending on how big your HDD is).

It deletes random files on that hardrive no specific ones it doesn't delete the full application/game etc it just deletes files within then the app won't run and brings up error msgs which then means I have to uninstall whatever app/game it is and reinstall it also I have checked for bad sectors it's always repairs some off the files it's deleted but then deletes different files it's really random and weird my computer runs chkdsk every time it boots up

Last edited:
it's always repairs some off the files it's deleted but then deletes different files it's really random and weird my computer runs chkdsk every time it boots up

Sector Cancer... Only fix is to replace the drive TBH.

Back
Top Bottom