Reinstalling LILO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GameGURU

Fully Optimized
I just had to reinstall Windows, and my Linux partition is still there. Can I put LILO back on so I can get back into my slackware install?

If so, how?

use boot disk or install disk #1, when it gets to the boot prompt, enter the drive and partition the linux install is on, it will boot to that-------example /dev/hdb1

then run pkgtool as root and select the system scripts/lilo configure option, its still there, just the MBR got overwrote, thats what lilo writes to when you run it

watch what your doing with this, its easy to screw up

Ugh, I just deleted the entire LILO package from my system. Is there any way I can reinstall it from the disk rather than reinstall Slackware?

I tried to do it with pkgtool but it wouldnt find LILO at all.

sure, its on the install disk, yes you can find it, mount the install disk and browse thru it, in the top directory or in the slackware directory there is a file list, open that and see what section LILO is in

or go here: http://www.slackware.com, click on packages twice(2 screens) then find it and download it, they have the entire thing piece by piece available, search function as well

Alright, I will give the mounting a try tomorrow.

Just to make sure, would I moun the CD the same way I mounted my partition, just change the location to /dev/hdd?

mount /dev/cdrom;cd /mnt/cdrom;ls

that should mount it, change to its directory, and list the contents----cd into slackware/a and then run pkgtool, LILO is in the slackware/a section

you could just type installpkg lilo<tab key> <return/enter> from inside the "a" directory on the cd while logged in as root and it will install it

liloconfig wont work, installpkg doesn't woro (apparantly doesn't exist), and it says I cannot cd to the directory...

Even though I mounted the drive.

you do have pkgtools installed dont you?You can check in /var/log/packages

check /etc/fstab and see where the cdrom gets mounted, cd into that directory

you have to be root to do most of this---including package tools, no changes to the system can be done by a regular user

I have no clue why you are having so many problems with this, more info would help I guess

if all else fails, reinstall but dont select reformat the linux partition, just install over it, it wont kill whats already there--------realy not the way to go, thats the typical windows solution, reformat everytime something goes wrong, linux you just fix it and move on

Ok, when I mount my DVD drive...it says that I installpkg won't work because it doesn't end in .tgz

So I type installpkg.tgz

Same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom