red hat vs. debian

Status
Not open for further replies.

ApolloIV

In Runtime
So I'm wondering what the big difference are between Red hat and Debian? I've searched the web and they say stuff about how Debian is updated a lot more and more popular but an instructor at my college says he likes to stick to red hat because the commands are a bit different and that if i go from red hat to debain i might get a little ****ed at first because of some of the differences. Is it really that bad? I'm using fedora on my laptop now and was wanting to try somthing else like ubuntu but if its a big difference I don't want to change. If anyone has any other distros in mind i should try let me know.

If your college prof is hinting you should stay with Fedora, stay with Fedora ;). Mine do the same thing all the time. Profs tend to hint like that a lot. I've learned to listen to them. When your doing an assignment and something won't work until you realize you're running a different OS you'll be pretty mad.

The two closest distros to Fedora are Ubuntu 8 and SuSE 10. SuSE 11 got quite the overhaul is pretty different now. Looks the same but underneath it's much more complex.

I have found red hat based distributions more restricted, than there debian counterparts. Mostly when you are trying to install you don't get to apt get from a large repository of programs you are normally limited to yum that is more limited.

Red hat is admittedly older than debian but in my opinion they are not really interested in the desktop or mobile user any more and are consintrating more on the large enterprise level systems. Think of IBM in the late 60's to early 1980, they support terminals for larger corperations over the small guy with 10 systems in his office an a server.

I'll probably just stick with fedora since the 10 comes out in 5 days i think. Well I found some where that fedora actually has more security then what ubuntu does so that also makes it a bit more tempting to stay with.

I'll probably just stick with fedora since the 10 comes out in 5 days i think. Well I found some where that fedora actually has more security then what ubuntu does so that also makes it a bit more tempting to stay with.

Strange. I've heard the opposite.

But hey, use what you like!

From what I've experienced every stable Linux distro is far more secure than either Windows or OSX. Not only because most viruses attack the afformentioned more either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom