PC Linux OS and windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didnt go with Ubuntu first. I did go with PCLinuxOS first. It was far tougher for me to learn *NIX going with that distro since the fact is that there is less documentation out there for related issues. With Ubuntu you have the largest pool of support. Since the forums out there have many users and many more people have used it.

PCLinuxOS is a good OS, but very tough to get used too as a first step off of Windows. You will want to do things that you just cant do. Things will not react the way you expect them to. You will get frustrated far faster with PCLOS than you would with going with Ubuntu.

I learned from my mistake. I tried a different distro first and then went to Ubuntu. After using that for about a month it was far easier for me to branch off and try BSD, PCLOS and many more. Going Ubuntu first will help you break yourself of the Windows habits you have while offering you the best support for issues you may come across. PCLOS doesnt have that luxury.

Hampton take it from me jump in at the deep end and go with one of the BSD's for newbies i would recommend PCBSD.

Thx guy's for the informative input, I shall take your advice ;)

@ Mak.. where did you go to school, lol.. 2x4 plus 2x2 = 12 not 8 lol

but yea your worse than I am you sick man.

Man i havent had to do in head calculations since the mid 90's. :p

But simply put, i have loaded up just about every version of Windows i have. Sometime i will take a screen shot of all the DVD's i have loaded with OS's just to show you how many i truly do have. ;)

Out of the box hardware compatability is far better on Ubuntu than on Windows from my experience. Installing windows on a machine usually requires tracking down half a dozen drivers. Ubuntu supports alot more devices out of the box, its just harder to get support for those without out of the box support.

Out of the box hardware compatability is far better on Ubuntu than on Windows from my experience. Installing windows on a machine usually requires tracking down half a dozen drivers. Ubuntu supports alot more devices out of the box, its just harder to get support for those without out of the box support.

Linux used to be a headache. But about 6 months after I got into the Linux scene (which was about 4 years ago) I saw a SEVERE turn around for the better.

Each time a new kernel or version of Ubuntu is released, I wonder what else could they possibly support and do better?

Each time I'm pleasantly surprised.

I have to give ubuntu credit where it's due they do a fantastic job of hardware detection especially in the wireless card department..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom