ok this pissing me off so im...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark_Sniper*

Fully Optimized
im going to put this 15GB hdd as slave and put linux on it so i need to know whats the best i can get for partsioning and stuff that i wont lose my windows file or mess with them. And will i be able if i do this and be able at boot up to pick the linux or windows and stuff or no.

If you're just installing onto a different hard drive, just stick in the Linux CD and use FDISK, I think it's called, or something like that. Make a swap partition, and a main ext2 partition.

You will have to install a bootloader like LILO or grub.

One of those will be on the Linux CD.

Like m3trj said, so long as it's an extra drive that doesn't have anything on it, and you pay attention during install, it won't mess with your Windows files.

The reason I say pay attention is I've heard stories of people who don't pay attention, and accidentally write over their Windows stuff. When I installed Fedora, it asked me if I wanted to keep my Windows stuff, so it knew to leave my windows drive alone.

ok thanks, so i can use whatever distro i wawnt and stuff. KNow is it possible to put more distro on this 15GB hdd and switch in and out. i want to put slackware,redhat,suse. Is it possible to do this on this hdd and switch between the 3 and still go into my windows and stuff.

Yeah you can put as many as you want on the drive as long as the partitions are set up properly. They can all share the same swap partition too.

Look in my sig, all 5 of those operating systems are actually on one hard drive. LILO or Grub will automatically detect everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom