noob to linux, possible 2 OS on my system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zero1424

In Runtime
OK.. I don't know If I'll like linux but I want to try it.. i always have.. so I'm installing it on an old P.O.S. dell to try it out. If i like it I may move to linux completely.

But, is it possible to have 2 OS's on one comp(1 HD)? Like I've seen people when they start their computer it says like "choose either: windows xp pro, windows 98" .. so would it be possible to install linux but keep my Windows XP Pro? and be able to switch between the two?

also.. can I run some windows prog.s on linux? or how hard would it be to get like an emulator that will run windows programs?

Question 1: Yes you can have to OS's on one HDD. When you install Linux it will install LiLo (Linux Loader) or Grub (GRand Unified Bootloader), these act as your boot screens. As long as you don't overwrite Windows during the install you will be ok.

Question 2: You can run some Windows programs on Linux using a third party app called Wine / WineX. Configuration isn't the easiest thing in the world, but it can be done.

OK i have a problem now.. I burned 3 cds.. from linuxiso.org I got valhalla Red Hat Linux.. And I have an extra HD(40gb quantum fireball). But when I try to boot with the fireball as the Master, it does not recognize it. And now when I boot with disc 1 inside I guess its not recognizing it as a boot disk, becaues it is just going straight to windows instead of booting to the linux cd. .. maybe my drive prioritys are wrong.. im gonna go check my bios

K Linux is isntalled on hdb (the 40gb fireball). problem was the 1st install disc was a shitty blank cd. Re-burned, and now its installed. OK.. but when I start up it still boots just right up into windows on my WD100. So on the device scanning screen, the screen that I am able to get to my BIOS thru, I hit F11 to make the boot selection pop-up screen come up. I select to boot from the 40gb fireball.. and it goes a screen that says 'GRUB _' with the underscore blinking. I can't enter anything.

I installed with the option to do it on the first line of the partition or something(i cant remember im a dumbass) instead of the master boot thing. So.. I can't boot into linux.

I insert the CD again and go to "upgrade" and I tryed to install both LILO and GRUB on the master boot thing. With linux as default OS. Then I get something like "there are no kernal programs " or something and "your linux was not updated" .. I can check for the exact thing if it matters..

and now this is odd; in "My Computer" it is not showing the 2nd hard drive.. which should be J:

I suggest not playing with Red Hat. Get a copy of Mandrake, install it, use Lilo as your boot loader and your set. Easier then Red Hat and more up to date.

i saw it for like $400 on their website, some 10.0 powerpack or somethin.. but i ordered it for $5 off some other site

Tbh, i bought my copy of SuSe 9.1 for £20 but im happy with it. YAST makes installing it next to Windows a doddle, remember now that linux is a commecial product, it cant play blind ignorance to windows existance, they accept that they are the underdog, and want to be at the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom