Noob Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.
How can you determine that fluxbox was a "keyword".

Meaning how can I find out what other command follow this sequance

sudo apt-get install "What can I type here"

if you want to search for packages, say you want to search for all packages having to do with nvidia stuff

apt-cache search nvidia

the general said:
if you want to search for packages, say you want to search for all packages having to do with nvidia stuff

apt-cache search nvidia

And Synaptic is just an easy gui for the apt toolset.

I would definately add Synaptic. As mentioned it's a GUI frontend to the apt commands. For me it makes it much easier to find what I'm looking for when I don't really remember the name of the app I want and too lazy to look it up. If I remember correctly Synaptic also sorts the apps for you so if you only want to look for upgrades you can or if you want to look at games or graphic apss you can find them easily and installation or refreshing is just a click away.

Yeah, the synaptic is installed. I have been using that. My newest venture was seting up a ftp server (proftpd) ...took about an hour. I am still trying to learn how to communicate between my XP box and the linux box...that will be the next fiasco.

macdude425 said:
Noob distros are good, but I highly advise you step up to something more advanced once you get some experience under your belt, because they are more customizible and much more fun to work with. You won't regret it.

you beat me to my suggestion :D

i am newer to linux but i started with fedora core 3 (which i know isn't noob free and all but still) i love it so i decided to try out 5.. just anothe 2 days...

anyhow i agree dont go with anything too noobish after u get a slight feel for it.
-blitze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom