Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Openfiler X64

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

sb9tlover

Beta member
Hi All, First time poster here, I think this might be in the wrong section but I don't know where else to put it. Admins please move if necessary.

I've been researching this for a while but I just can't make a decision. I need a NAS on my home network, my NAS now holds mostly movies, second by MP3s, followed by Software. I have 5 Linux Based Media players, 3 Linux Laptops, 5 Windows based Laptops\Desktops, and 1 MAC. I guess we spend more time reading from the Nas than writing to it but I have no data to confirm this. I'm using Cifs, NFS, and Iscsi.

My dilemma is this, I've narrowed my Linux favorites down to Openfiler. I love it as a NAS. When I research the subject most reasons for choosing Freenas, Openfiler or Ubuntu is because it's free. I already own a legal Windows Server 2008 Enterprise edition X64 key. I also Impulsively purchased a Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise X64 Key. Windows licensing is as clear as a black hole but I'm under the impression I have 10 servers worth in licenses. I only have 4 actual servers in use. Basically I have licenses to spare. The question is should I go with Windows 2008, Windows 2008 R2 or Openfiler? I just can't decide. All 3 would make a good nas but what would you do?

I have 9.2 TB of storage. (4)2TB drives in a raid 5, 1 single 1TB drive, and (2) 125GB SSD. I cheaped out on the raid and went with a software raid. It's good enough for my house and I like that I can drop in another 2TB when ever I need it (I started with 3 drives now I'm at 4). Once I max out 9.2TB I'll invest in a solid raid controller, for now it is what it is. The computer is a 1.9GHz AMD X64 Dual core Dell with 3GB of Ram and 3 1GB Nics. The Plan is to Bond the nics.

I know I wrote allot but please help me decide. Windows 2008, Windows 2008 R2, or Openfiler?

I'd say 2008 R2 if you've got licenses to spare. The only reason I'd choose that over something like FreeNas or Ubuntu is compatibility. My NAS is also my HTPC, and I run many other programs on there to do with file sharing, ftp, media streaming, custom scripts, ETC.

If you're just going to be using the NAS and a NAS, don't bother with windows.

It sounds like you have experience with Openfiler and talked about it in a positive manner above. If it's done the job before at no cost, why burn a license when you have an option on the table that can handle it without issue?

S0ULphIRE - you're saying even if you had a Windows license to spare you would not use windows if you were only using the box as a NAS? Just making sure I understand you completely.

It sounds like you have experience with Openfiler and talked about it in a positive manner above. If it's done the job before at no cost, why burn a license when you have an option on the table that can handle it without issue?

I see your point, I've already asked myself the same question but then I get hung up on some of the research I've done. As an admin I'm way more proficient in Windows (Point for Windows). OF uses way less system resources than Windows (point for OF). As much as I hate to say this, much more engineering went into windows and it's more established(point for Windows). Some of the best SANs available on the market is running a custom version of Linux, EMC for example (OF POint). On that note you typically pay a small fortune for these SANs and like windows a ton of engineering has gone into it (windows point).

I'm very indecisive so I can do this all day. At the end of the day I don't think I'm going to have 10 servers in my house so I don't think I'll miss the license. Openfiler has been running for years with out problems but recently has started slowing to a crawl once every 2 weeks requiring a reboot. This is what started this windows VS OF battle in my head. Like I said if I had to pay for a Windows license just to have a NAS I'd run back to Openfiler but I already have the license. Most people making comparisons in my research went to Linux because it's free and comparable but is it really better? I'm so stuck and have been stuck for about a month, I'm willing to go where the majority points me.

So is it running OF currently? If what you're saying is that it starts to crawl on a regular basis then effectively the smaller footprint argument is moot. If you really won't miss the license and you have more experience with windows then that might be the way to go. Also, with the drives listed you should only have 7.2TB of space, even software RAID should report the correct space which leaves me a little concerned that maybe your RAID isn't working as you think it is.

S0ULphIRE - you're saying even if you had a Windows license to spare you would not use windows if you were only using the box as a NAS? Just making sure I understand you completely.

Yep. Not worth it. NAS functions are pretty simple, all it is at basics is file sharing. FreeNAS can share over SMB/AFP/FTP/etc so it's compatible with everything pretty much. Why would you bother with an OS that's got so much extra stuff included that you'll never use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom