My fedora 12 review.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyecdevf

In Runtime
The last time I used fedora was when I first started using linux and I was trying out various linux distributions like mandriva, ubuntu, mepis,…I got my hands on fedora core 7. Before that I used only ubuntu and mandriva. Now I do not want to diss any ubuntu fans because right now I am using ubuntu my self right now and I am also a debian fan but back then when I first started using fedora it seemed to me like I was for the first time using a really good operating system. I continued using it for three months until the next version came out and I thought that I could upgrade it via the net but that did not work out as I thought. I had loads of dependency issues. Fedora also turned out to be unstable. So those are the two things that I believe plagued fedora back in those days.

So why am I writing this now. Well I figured that it might be a good time to try out the new fedora 12. I have seen some good reviews in the magazines and some acquaintance had a wired obsession with it for some reason. So I figured that would be a good enough reason to go ahead and try it out. So any way I went to their site and downloaded it from their site because I did not want to download it via a torrent. I just do not like doing that. I want to be sure that the copy I get no one did any thing to it. I could go ahead and do the MD5 check but I have never done that on anything. Not that I would not know how to do so but I just do not feel like doing that.

The first thing I noticed during the installation was a check box for encryption. I say that because it did not say specifically what kind of an encryption that was. Only later after googling I realized it meant the LVM. Any way because I check almost every check box that seems worth wile I went ahead with it.

After I booted I got this blue screen and an input box for the password to my LVM encrypted disk. I kind of liked that. I looked neat. So far I was happy with my decision to install fedora. I have wanted to encrypt my hardrive for a while but never got around doing so. Here on Fedora 12 it was as simple as checking a check box. I have to give it to them. That really made my day.

One of the things that I like to configure on a freshly installed linux distro is the firewall. Here is is simple with a nice gui program. After some further gnome configuration I was quite happy with it.

Unfortunately though after using fedora for a while now I realized it still sucks. One of the things that right away turned me off was that I was unable to update it. There are at the moment over 400 updates waiting for me but I can install only the security updates because I put that on automatic. The other problem is I can not install via a package manager any thing because it gives me the same type of error. Now I go this problem on my laptop as well as my desktop computer and I say this because the last time I was on a fedora irc channel asking for something other fedora related I was basically told that I should not blame the software because they simply assumed that the problem was with my hardware. So here I tested it on two different computers and I got the same problem. So I was really ****ed as well at the fedora people on the irc channel as well as those who design fedora. It was so annoying that every time I wanted to update I got the same problem and the package manager was bloated to if you ask me. If I search for something like ”rar,” I get loads of results and it is not alphabetically organized. I mean what is up with that? I never had a problem just searching for the file compression program. Of course it won't allow me to install it any way if I find it.

Now that is not all. Just today I was burning some stuff to a DVD when all of the sudden nautilus crashes on me. I could not believe that. I do not remember nautilus ever crashing on me on any linux distro before. So I was quite surprised at first. Like how could that happen. So I tried to burn the same files again and again with the same result. I just gave up on burning those files to a DVD and I am here writing this review as I hope to get in the process some idea how to deal with the situation. I just hate it right now and I do not want to see it again. I am definitely going to install something else on that computer in the near future. What I plan to install at this very moment I am still unsure off.

After I cooled of for a few moments I returned to try again. I removed some rar file that brasero found some issue with because it had a “windows uncompatible name.” So now I think that I managed to burn the files. I also tried to report the crash using the automatic crash reporting tool but that did not seem to work either because after several hours it is still “working.”

So to conclude fedora still sucks. When I used it back in the day with version 7 it sucked and now it sucks even more. Despite the fact that there are some new cool features that have been added the that I found great I still believe that it is not worth to use in the long run.
Now I do not say this because I want to discorage you to use it or to encourage you to use some other distro. In fact it needs to be mentioned that the ease of setting up a LVM and configuring a firewall surpasses debian.

I agree with most everything in this review. I however look at Fedora a little differently. Fedora to me is not an operating system that's "ready" to be installed. And it won't ever be, just by the nature of its design. Red Hat intentionally uses Fedora in a guinea pig fashion to test out new things before they flow upstream to Red Hat Enterprise Linux. A while back I installed Fedora on about 5 different machines, and each one had different issues.

I like Fedora a lot, and I like how much the Fedora/RHEL team bring to the table and how they help revolutionize the open source movement. I do however stand firm that Fedora feels very "beta like" regardless of the computer I use it on. Despite this, it DOES seem to be relatively stable. I didn't have frequent crashes with it... just weird, little things here and there that struck me as odd.

It's a great distro, but like I said, I acknowledge it's existence based on what it's often used for, as opposed to Mandriva, openSUSE, or Ubuntu that is geared towards being a fully refined/ready to use desktop OS. I certainly wouldn't sneeze at running Fedora again, but I can't say I'd be shocked if I ran into any issues along the way.

Yeah, it is stable in this version. The first time I used it back in the fedora core 7 days it crashed often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom