Mounting with "sync" option automatically

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalcProgrammer1

Fully Optimized
I'm tired of Ubuntu's floppy drive problems! I use floppies to take data from home to school and back (they don't let us use good stuff like USB drives or memory cards), and when I save to a floppy disk, it doesn't write to the disk until I select "unmount". I don't like this, as I usually just pull the disk when I'm done with my work. Is there a way to make Ubuntu write to the disk when a file is added, rather than waiting until you unmount it? Is this possible to do on ANY external device (it does the same to USB keys, memory cards, etc...) and it's annoying. I just want it to write to the drive when I send files to the drive.

I heard about the 'sync' option for fstab, but I don't always have USB keys plugged in on startup or floppy disks in the drive, so I need it to add the 'sync' option to anything that is connected or mounted through the "Computer" location.

Also, when I delete a file from a disk (or any removable [non local HDD] device), can I just simply have it delete (prompt first), or does it have to go to the trash?

Not sure about the first part of your post, but for the delete part open any Nautilus window and go to Edit > Preferences > Behavior > Include a Delete command that bypasses Trash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom