Most "popular" version of linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

neo214

Baseband Member
I would like to know what the most popular version of linux is, because for Suse, which I thought was the most popular, I can't really find anything that works with it. I can't play mpeg or MP3 files, (well I can play MP3 on real, with no playlist). I can't install any programs because I always need another program as a prerequisite before I can install that one. Then the RPM does not work, bad media or someting, just a big hassle. I know allot of people say Suse is pretty good, but from my experience if you want to do anymore than is included with the oS, good luck!

Slackware maybe...

My first though would have been SuSE, after that maybe Mandrake.

Ubuntu is the most hyped, kinda like Suse was for awhile, advertising is amazing sometimes. When it comes down to actual usage, slackware is it. Debian is probably right there close by too. You dont see major activity about a distro at a help forum unless its whats being used by most people. Redhat would probably be more popular if it hadnt been for going commercial and forking the fedora project off.

I've used Mandrake, Red Hat, Slackware, Debian, and Ubuntu...
and prefer (in this order) Slackware, Debian, Ubuntu...and the other two, bleh.

Go Slackware!

no, but when it comes to linux, its THE forum, its the biggest and been around the longest-------any questions can be answered about linux there usually

yes im biased about slackware, and at a forum like that one, slackware has an advantage to begin with, its been around longer than most of the others-----it hasnt forked, and its had one maintainer since the beginning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom