Linux Windows Switching

Status
Not open for further replies.

joebx902004

Baseband Member
I installed mandrake Linux on one partition and then windows xp on another partition.

I want to switch to Linux

After the PC reboots, you will see a DOS screen presenting your operating system options right and then u selct the one and press enter

BUT ITS NOT LETTING ME CHOOSE IT JUST GOSE TO XP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You need to install Windows first, then Linux. It's really hard to get your system to boot to Linux if you install Linux first.

DUH!

Its impossible to install windows and thne Linux and still have windows on ... Linux reformatts hard drive!

I believe it's called seperate partitions on the hard drive.

At a guess, you're probably just leaving your hard drive as a single partition, because there are many people on this forum that have dual boot machines with exactly the OS's that you're talking about.

joebx902004 said:
Its impossible to install windows and thne Linux and still have windows on ... Linux reformatts hard drive!

hilowe said:
I believe it's called seperate partitions on the hard drive.

At a guess, you're probably just leaving your hard drive as a single partition, because there are many people on this forum that have dual boot machines with exactly the OS's that you're talking about.

Bingo!! hilowe is right, if you install any two operating systems on the same partition you will overwrite one or the other.

Your best bet is to A)Partition the drive into two or more partitions or B) Use another hard drive.

It is real easy to create a dual boot system, if you intsall windows first THEN Linux, the linux installer will setup the dual boot for you. Piece of cake!

Yeah, I did partition and then install XP in one and the linux in another .

No problems, But while booting mandrake 10 gives the option to choose the OS

Re: DUH!

joebx902004 said:

You may be able to put some information above to good use. Just create another partition as your linux partition (Ext2 or Ext3 File system) and then create a small Linux swap partition and then install Linux on the primary Ext3 or Ext2 partition that you made.

-Mike

Some Linux installs default to a "DOS" option. If you select the DOS option then you'll be prompted with your normal boot.ini OS choices. This is easy to do and very easy to configure after the fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom