Linux (Peppermint)

Ms.Tech

Solid State Member
Hey Everyone!
I have researched Linux in the past, when I was quite young, with my father actually. But I never really got into it and never really even saw a user interface until recently. Recently I set up a virtual machine on my current computer to run a version of Linux called Peppermint. (Peppermint | The Linux Desktop OS) I got it installed and everything and now I am a little stuck. I and trying to install the tools for editing and things but I can't seem to figure out how to install them? Help please?

Everyone I work with in IT is too afraid to try and tackle Linux so they are not help but I really want to learn this.

Not that familiar with Peppermint myself, but most Linux distro's today use a package manager to install software. It looks like this Peppermint distro uses one of several package managers called Synaptic Package Manager. You'll need to read up on it to get a better understanding. Here's a link to the guide
4. Installing and Removing Software | Peppermint | The Linux Desktop OS

If you tell us what your trying to edit, (video, audio or photo?) someone can suggest the program suited for that

Last edited:
Thanks so much! I guess I didn't look hard enough! How much experience do you have with Linux in general if you don't mind my asking?

Actually...I'm more of a Windows person.
I've dabbled with Linux here and there, and since the beginning of the end of XP I've been using it more often, upgrading older XP boxes to Puppy Linux. Linux has also come a very long way in being user friendly, so much so that now us Windows users can start using Linux and learning more of it because of the improved UI

One thing that I have notices about Peppermint is that the UI looks a lot like a Mac UI though it does seem to run more like a windows. I personally, have always used windows but I like to explore new things so, I was challenged to figure out Linux. So, that is what I am doing. Thanks for your help though!

You can also install through the command line. Package managers for command line are usually apt-get or yum depending on the Distro. You of course need root access to use them, but I am assuming you have that.

I have personally been using Linux almost all the popular Distros for 4+ years. At one point I re-installed every month to learn how to configure different distros and other aspects of the OS.

Since Peppermint is based off Ubuntu and uses the 13.04 packages you can use apt-get in the command line to install packages/software.

Found this on the Peppermint site. http://peppermintos.com/guide/software/

Last edited:
Well, I have a lot of studying to do. For starters I should probably find a Linux dictionary. I figured out how to install packages and stuff but there are lover 40,000 of them. So, trying to figure out what they do and which ones I need will be the next step.
Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom