Linux free, why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

s10237

Baseband Member
I just wonder why Linux us able to keep there OS free. Where is the money that is to be made? I just started using linux and i must say it beats the heck out of windows. Wil they eventually start to charge for the use of linux?

its simple actually.

when linux started, the only way that it can achieve certain levels of standards, it would have to be distrobuted under the GPL. this way linux gets the amount of exposure, with a wide community readily improving it on the way. This creates an ever expanding operating system that would take much much longer with unthought of resources if not under the GPL..

I read this somewhere about one guy that spent days compiling a driver for a network card under linux, and offered it for no charge to the community... people called him crazy... but he said "I just downloaded a whole open source operating source for free and you are calling me crazy..."

http://www.computerhope.com/history/unix.htm
http://liw.iki.fi/liw/texts/linux-the-big-picture.html

research Linux history and Linus Torvalds

Linus created Linux, but instead of making ppl pay for it, he posted his script online, when internet was first being used... something similar to this forum, or what you may consider an ansestor of the methods we share information and chat today.

he posted this so that others could look at it, and make comments and suggestions... before long he was flooded with emails of changes and comments and suggestions...
although it was free and everyone could make thier own... all he asked was that you share with him the changes you make so he could incorporate them in the original, his version... LINUX - named after himself... today, the tradition continues...

there is money to be made by big time publishers who's versions of Linux you can buy... you buy it for the extra software, drivers, applications, fonts, graphics and #1 on the reason to buy it is the support... if anything happens you can call them and they will help you through it.

There's a little more to it than that.Linus Torvlads wrote the linux kernel, and COMBINED it with the existing GPL/GNU toolset that had been written by others with the same thing in mind, they just started with the tools instead of the kernel.The original idea for a "copyleft" or GPL license for the free versions of the UNIX toolset came from the guys writing the code.Linus Torvalds was in contact with these guys for awhile before releasing the linux kernel and agreed on the opensource model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom